The Learning Support Officer is responsible to the Principal via the Head of Learning Support.
The Learning Support Officer’s key role is to support designated students. The focus is on student participation, inclusion and success in all parts of College life.
The Learning Support Office takes an active part in the Learning Support Team. The Learning Support Officer is to help the student(s) in an individual or group situation, as the teacher deems appropriate, being mindful of the student’s individual needs and personal requirements.
The Learning Support Officer is expected to model the College Mission Statement, Salesian philosophy and to support the vision and goals of the College’s learning community, whilst being especially mindful of the needs of students with additional learning needs.
• To support the learning of specific students with additional learning needs (physical, sensory, socio-emotional, health and intellectual).
• To facilitate the inclusion, development and programs of these students in both personal and academic learning.
The Learning support Officer assists the student(s) in various ways, including:
• Further development of student organizational skills
• Note-taking and scribing
• Assisting in practical subjects e.g. science experiments, especially for reasons of safety
• Assisting with computer management – e.g. setting up folders, saving work
• Brainstorming, clarifying, assisting with planning, assisting with mind-maps, assisting with Thinking Tools, research, provision of notes (if available)
• Assisting in implementing task modification (in consultation with teachers)
• Supervising students for individual work, at times
• Assisting in keeping the student on task and focused if possible
• Supervising a particular project
• Assisting in locker management
• Anticipating daily learning needs and responding to these needs
• Assisting students with mobility or physical or sensory needs (for specific students)
• Assisting with specialized equipment (e.g. hearing impaired)
• Guiding the student in moving towards independence in learning
• Maintaining records related to the student
• The Learning Support Officer, may be required to attend excursions or camps, or activities such as homework club, as required.
• Assisting with PSGs, either in pre-organisation, and follow up, or attending the PSG
• ICT competence (Salesian College makes extensive use of ICT, including Learning Management systems and student laptops)
• General administrative duties
• To undertake, as required, tasks that assist in an holistic effective educational program for students
• Strong knowledge and understanding of Child Safety legislation and responsibilities
Salary and Conditions
These positions come under the Victorian Catholic Education Multi Employer Agreement 2013.
Enquiries and Applications
Further enquiries should be directed to the Principal’s PA, Mrs Mary Menz, at the College on 9807 2644.
Applications, together with the Curriculum Vitae and the names and contact numbers of three (3) referees, including current Principal, should be forwarded to:
The Principal, Mr Robert Brennan by email to: email@example.com