We seek to appoint a well-qualified teacher who will actively contribute to the ongoing development of a small but extremely successful Maths department (four teachers) and will promote the study of Maths throughout the school.
The successful candidate should have the ability to do the following:-
- Teach Maths effectively at GCSE and A Level
- Act as a Form Tutor (Years 7 to 13)
- Contribute to the extra-curricular life of the School
- The ability to teach some Science (Physics or Chemistry) or ICT at KS3 and KS4 would be an advantage
The Maths department enjoys a strong reputation. The school participates in the UKMT individual and team challenges. Maths is a popular choice for A Level. Several pupils each year also choose to study Further Maths. Value added results at A Level are excellent.
The curriculum is based on the key stage 3 National Curriculum for England for years 7 to 9. Students in years 10 and 11 are prepared for the GCSE examinations set by the AQA examination board. In the sixth form, students studying A/AS level mathematics and students studying the A/AS further mathematics follow the Edexcel examination board specification.
The Maths classrooms are next to each other in the original school building. This allows for a strong sense of collegiality within the department. The classrooms are all fitted with interactive whiteboards and fixed board projectors
The Maths department, indeed the whole school, provides a very friendly and supportive environment. This appointment would suit a recent graduate or someone wishing to gain further teaching experience in this ambitious, but non-selective school. Full support will be given to ensure that NQTs successfully complete their induction.
The successful candidate will have every opportunity to gain the wide experience and responsibility, both academically and pastorally, to enable him or her to move on to higher posts either at Shebbear or elsewhere. We would expect all candidates to participate with enthusiasm in the wider life of the School.
A job description will be finalised with the successful candidate upon appointment.
BENEFITS OF SERVICE
In addition to working in a small friendly school in a stunning rural location we will offer a generous remuneration package to colleagues which includes:
- Membership of the Teachers’ Pension contributory pension scheme
- Free lunch and refreshments during term-time
- Longer holidays than the maintained sector
- Medical centre on site during term time
- Use of the School facilities such as gymnasium
- Subsidised accommodation may be available on site if required. Many of the members of staff are accommodated on campus, in houses, flats and boarding houses
- A discretionary discount on the school fees of employees’ children attending the School
To apply, please complete the application form available on the School website (please ensure that your referees include your current or most recent employer) and send with a covering letter to:
Mrs Andrea Stairs
Phone : 01409 282000
Further details about the College and an Application Form are available at www.shebbearcollege.co.uk/jobs
We do not accept CVs. No agencies please.
Closing date: Friday 16th March 2018.
Interviews will take place week commencing 19th March 2018.
The interview day will normally include a tour of the School, an observed lesson and a panel interview.
Shebbear College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.