Music Assistant (with strong keyboard skills essential)
Reporting to the Senior House Mistresses, Director of Music and Deputy Head, who is a member of the School’s Leadership Team, and ultimately to the Head.
Responsibility for the welfare and care of all the boarders and supporting senior staff in the day to day running of the boarding department.
To develop specialist knowledge and provide excellent experience for those considering a career in education.
This post is open to female applicants only as being female is deemed to be a genuine occupational requirement under Schedule 9, Paragraph 1 of the Equality Act 2010.
· assisting the Music department in all aspects including attending concerts and events;
· ensuring the well-being, safety, discipline and pastoral care of all boarders;
· being fully versed in, and compliant with, all the School’s procedures;
· knowing and treating each child in their care as an individual and encouraging self-discipline and a sense of responsibility;
· helping to create a calm, quiet and tidy living and working environment;
· supervising eﬃciently the day-to-day routines of normal boarding school life, including registration, meals, preps. and bedtimes;
· working with students on chosen subject specialism as agreed with the Head of Subject;
· being able in case of emergency to remain ‘on call’ when not on active boarding duty during the day;
· ensuring that dorms and common rooms are kept clean and tidy and liaising with the Senior House Mistresses over maintenance, laundry, cleaning, furniture and furnishings;
· helping to organise and supervise the extra-curricular life of the students to ensure that they are able to discharge their academic and other obligations eﬃciently, and find interest and stimulus appropriate to their age and development;
· liaising with the Senior House Mistresses and School Nurse over general concerns and in emergencies;
· helping to ensure the smooth running of the House;
· helping the Senior House Mistresses to maintain good relations and communications with all parents;
· maintaining good communication with the Senior House Mistresses. This includes maintaining detailed and confidential written logs;
· implementing the Health and Safety Policy of the School;
· participating in the Staﬀ Performance Management process;
Duties may be developed through time, as required, for the welfare and happiness of the House
The ideal candidate will:
· be able to exercise total discretion and uphold confidentiality, when appropriate
· be an excellent listener and committed, reliable team member
· to help provide a happy, welcoming and secure environment
· have excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
· have excellent writing, telephone and IT skills
· have a good working knowledge of MS Office tools particularly Word and Excel
· have exceptionally high standards of discipline and integrity
· be aware of the importance of Child Protection and Safeguarding of young people
· be prepared to undergo appropriate training as requested
· support the ethos of the school and broader education
· have a clear sympathy with the advantages of single-sex education
· be inspired by challenges and seek to set individual targets
· have energy, drive, enthusiasm and a positive manner
· be able to work as part of a team
This appointment is in regulated activity.
Queen Mary’s is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young persons and candidates must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service, in accordance with the Children Act 1989. If in the course of carrying out the duties of this post, the post-holder becomes aware of any actual or potential risks to the safety and welfare of children in the school, this must be reported to the School’s Designated Safeguarding Lead and Head
The following particulars do not form any part of an offer of employment. Terms and conditions, which will incorporate the Staff Handbook and contract of employment, will be documented in due course to the successful candidate.
· The Music Assistant is appointed by the Head, subject to enhanced DBS clearance and receipt of satisfactory references
· The appointee will be required to complete a confidential pre-employment health questionnaire (and medical examination where applicable), the costs of which will be met by the School
· This is a term time role (plus overnight on-call) through term time. This may include Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday working when the school is in session (2 out of 3 Saturdays during term time and the Early May Bank Holiday).
· Working hours will be on a rota basis
· Single private accommodation and meals are provided during term time