Longdon Park School opened in June 2015. We are a co-educational day school catering for pupils aged 7-18 with complex educational needs, communication difficulties, challenging behaviour primarily with a diagnosis of ASD. Recently judged by Ofsted as ‘Outstanding’ we provide a therapeutic, supportive and inclusive learning environment where our young people learn to accept responsibility for their actions, make positive decisions and display pro-social behaviour. We are committed to raising achievement and enabling pupils to recognise their potential and supporting them through a personalised, engaging curriculum. Our priority is to develop the foundation knowledge and skills required to make a manageable and smooth transition to the next life stage.
We require an experienced Pastoral Support Worker to provide support, encouragement and pastoral care to pupils at the school. The successful applicant will be expected to work effectively with a range of stakeholders, parents, support staff, therapy team, outreach agencies and other schools to ensure the continuity and progress of individual pupils, especially with regard to low self-esteem and poor attendance. The post holder will undertake a variety of advanced tasks that require detailed knowledge and skills, including caring, communication and interpersonal skills, behaviour management, safeguarding issues and behaviour data analysis. A commitment to training and liaison with the onsite therapy team to support best practice would be an integral part of the role. The key features and responsibilities of this post are listed below:
- To develop effective strategies for pupils refusing to attend or engage class.
- To respond to conflicts and behavioural situations as they arise. Diffuse situations and develop strategies for those involved in conflict.
- To work with the onsite therapy team to develop individual support plans for our more vulnerable young people
- To work with small groups on identified issues such as self-esteem, friendship issues, behaviour, bullying etc.
- To develop a self-referral system for pupils e.g. a listening ear, and/or a peer support initiative.
- To develop ideas and explore the possibility of an activity day/week during the school year.
- To explore and support opportunities for promoting Pupil Voice.
- To work with the Assistant Head (Pastoral) in developing and facilitating parenting support programmes.
- To work with and support families with of pupils with poor school attendance.
- To promote a home/school liaison service by being available for parents/carers on both a drop-in and appointment basis.
- To support families using a multi-agency approach.
Applications are invited from colleagues offering experience working in SEN settings (including ASD and SEMH experience), from mainstream schools and other educational settings.
Nyree Parker, Head of School would welcome an informal discussion by telephone or in person. Tel: 01283 733195.
This position is due to commence September (subject to approved reference/DBS checks). Please apply online.
Closing Date: Monday 23rd July 2018 at midday. Interviews to take place Tuesday 31st July 2018.
Longdon Park School is committed to the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. All successful applicants will be subject to fully Enhanced DBS check.