We are seeking to appoint a new PE & Activities Teaching Assistant to join our PE & Activities staff team. The position is designed to be fully residential: in addition to their role in the PE & Activities department, the successful candidate will have a role as Boarding Assistant in one of the school’s boarding houses. Accommodation within the boarding house is provided during the school’s term time in each case.
The role has two complementary dimensions. As a Teaching Assistant, you will be required to assist the PE teachers with the running of a wide-ranging programme of PE and other activities throughout the school; in the boarding house you will be required to support the Houseparents and to help with some aspects of the running of the House in which you will be living.
The position that we are looking to fill will be in our Hayfield Boarding House.
The role could present an excellent career development opportunity for PE enthusiasts who are considering a career in teaching and/or coaching.
The successful candidate may have the opportunity to further their coaching qualifications through relevant courses. They will also be required to undertake a first aid qualification as well as the necessary training to gain a PCV qualification to enable them to drive a 17-seater minibus to transport students to and from sports and activities venues.
Person Specification and necessary Qualifications
Applicants must have:
- Either a degree in PE or a related subject, or other appropriate vocational qualifications and experience;
- Playing and, ideally, coaching experience in at least one, and preferably more than one, sport;
- A clean driving licence, since all the members of the PE department are regularly expected to drive the School’s minibuses for travel to and from sports venues.
In addition to the above, we are looking for candidates who:
- Are committed and passionate about PE and about teaching / coaching;
- Have a caring and cheerful personality and a demonstrable ability to relate to students, parents and colleagues with empathy and sensitivity;
- Have a mature, responsible, patient and resilient attitude to life and work;
- Have an ability to be firm while doing so in a friendly, engaging and respectful manner;
- Are reliable, responsible and well organised with strong communication skills;
- Have good, reliable and balanced judgement and the ability to think clearly and rationally in an emergency;
- Are good team players who will work well with colleagues and with students both in PE and Activities and in the boarding context;
- Have good practical and administrative skills.
For the proper performance of their duties, it will be essential for the successful candidate to be resident in the House at all times during term time (excluding scheduled time off of course).
In line with the proper performance of their duties, the successful candidate will be able to take meals in the House or in the school dining hall without charge during school term times.
Salary and pension
The starting salary in the post will be in the region of £15,000 pa. In addition, and as has already been mentioned, accommodation within one of the school’s boarding houses and meals are provided (during term time). The school has its own pension scheme which will be open to the successful candidate from the time that they join the school.
Please note that the role as set out above involves working through the school’s term times plus a day or two before and after each term to help with opening up and closing down the House.
Applicants should complete the Application form for a teaching post, and submit this, with a full CV and covering letter, to HR@doverbroecks.com and a signed copy sent to:
333 Banbury Road
The closing date for applications is 25 July 2018