Job Description: Regional Lead Teacher for Modern Foreign Languages
Reports to: Principal
Responsible to: Regional Director
Start date: Easter 2019
Salary: £45,000-£60,000, depending on experience
The Regional Lead Teacher for Modern Foreign Languages will promote and implement Ark strategies for improving attainment in MFL across the South London & Hastings region. Working in partnership with the regional leadership team, Principals, Heads of Department and Ark staff, the role involves both a strategic overview of the subject across the region with a regional approach to planning and school improvement, alongside day to day involvement with MFL departments through activity such as coaching, planning, leadership development, modelling strong practice, data analysis, curriculum development, support with student intervention and leading regional subject meetings.
Based in one school, the postholder will undertake a partial timetable (20% teaching*) at that school and will work as Head of Department, or as a coach to the existing Head of Department, depending upon the school’s context at any point.
*This may increase if there is less demand for support in other schools in the network.
• Provide the strategic lead for Modern Foreign Languages across the region
• Lead regional subject initiatives and meetings; sharing, innovating and disseminating good practice, including co-planning and moderation
• Support Heads of Department in each allocated academy as needed, ensuring agreed best practice is being followed, training Heads of Department and providing extra support and capacity where it is needed at a leadership level
• Support the development of teaching capacity within allocated academies, working in partnership with the academy’s teaching and learning lead and the Ark Professional Development team
• Work with allocated academies to ensure that the curriculum, delivery model and assessments being used are in line with Ark Curriculum Plus and meet the needs of all students
• Support regional and academy-level work to ensure that curriculum decisions are appropriate; producing strong numbers of MFL entries but ensuring that decisions meet the needs of individual students
• Work with academy staff to promote raised attainment and progress measures in MFL, with an aspirational progress target for each academy
• Provide support to academy leadership teams and subject leaders to address underperformance in MFL departments
• Identify best practice locally, nationally and internationally in order to refine or bespoke the practice to the needs of the region
• Ensure that subject knowledge, curriculum understanding and pedagogy around GCSE and GCE specifications are facilitated in allocated academies
• Take part in monitoring and review work across the region as requested by the Regional Director
• Support recruitment work as requested by the Regional Director
• Undertake other various responsibilities as directed by the line manager
• Undertake the main professional duties of a member of staff as set out in the Ark’s pay and conditions of service document
• Comply fully with Ark policies and procedures, aligned with Ark’s ethos of growth mindset, high aspirations and high expectations of self and others
Person Specification: Regional Lead Teacher for Modern Foreign Languages
• Qualified to degree level and above
• Qualified to teach in the UK
• Able to teach to GCE level in one of Spanish or French and to GCSE level in both
• Outstanding teacher
• Proven record in delivering outstanding attainment and progress in Modern Foreign Languages
• Experience of identifying, implementing, monitoring and evaluating effective strategies for improving attainment in MFL in urban schools.
• Experience of establishing strategic interventions of MFL across a number of departments or schools, or facilitating the sharing of best practice around effective academic intervention.
• Experience of leading, coaching and mentoring MFL teachers, as well as delivering staff training to support improved attainment and progress.
Knowledge and skills
• Up to date knowledge of the current MFL curriculum and assessment requirements
• Recent experience of delivering results in school
• Highly effective style that is both consultative and influential
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• Ability to consider both the detail and the ‘bigger picture’
• Self-motivated and resilient
• Effective team worker and leader
• Personal vision is aligned with Ark’s high aspirations and expectations of self and others
• Genuine passion and a belief in the potential of every student
• Motivation to continually improve standards and achieve excellence above norms
This post is subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check