Job Description: School Administrator/Receptionist
Reports to: Student Support Office Manager
Start date: ASAP
Salary: Full time salary is grade 1 (£20,002-£20,237), however this will be prorated based on the below working hours
Contract: Permanent, Term time plus 1 week
Hours: 07:30am- 17:00pm
Please note that you are required to submit a personal statement as part of the application.
The School Administrator/Receptionist is the first point of call for visitors to the Academy. As the ‘face’ of the school the receptionist will be welcoming, personable, helpful and able to represent the school in a professional and friendly manner. In addition, it is essential that the person for this role is organised, able to multitask, work flexibly and have a ‘can do’ approach. You will also assist with general day to day admin tasks which therefore require a good level of IT skills.
• To ensuring the safety and security of the academy at all times and communicate effectively with the academy security guard
• To provide a comprehensive and seamless administrative support service in order to ensure the smooth running of the academy.
• To act as the first point of contact for the academy; welcoming visitors and answering any incoming calls. Ensure that appropriate actions are taken in a timely manner.
• Maintaining and updating school information, records and databases
• To input student data and assist with administering and managing attendance records.
• To use the databases and administrative systems, ensuring they are kept up to date and relevant information is disseminated to appropriate members of staff
• To take ownership for various projects to meet the needs of the academy e.g. admissions/pupil data, and agendas/minutes
• To produce documents (including presentations, correspondence, reports and spreadsheets), working to produce a finished document in line with school standards, making certain that confidentiality is maintained when required
• To keep the reception visitor screen updated at all times with appropriate information.
• To ensure that telephone and email queries are dealt with effectively, taking the initiative to identify and handle issues that arise on behalf of the leadership team and others
• To sort and distribute all incoming post on a daily basis
• To prepare all outgoing post
• To assist with academy mail shots as and when required
• To provide general administrative support across the academy
• To maintain manual and computerised records and management information systems, including the input of student data daily and maintaining pupil records
• To act as the academies receptionist, providing a first point of contact for all incoming calls to ensure that they are answered in a timely and professional manner
• To ensure that all calls are correctly routed to their intended recipients, or an appropriate member of staff, to assure a quick and effective communication system
• To greet visitors to the reception area as required, ensuring that visitors are welcomed into a friendly, professional environment
• To log telephone calls and ensure that relevant information is passed on in a timely manner
• To listen to the school’s voicemail, recording all messages and ensuring that they can be dealt with by an appropriate member of staff in a timely manner
• To check that any changes to the school main voicemail are made to ensure that callers receive up to date information, should their call not be answered
• To ensure the reception area is clean, free from clutter and well presented as first impression of the academy
• To ensure that key information is available at the main reception, i.e. up-to-date telephone list, vehicle driver registration list
• To ensure that relevant information / literature is available in the reception seating area, i.e. times of the academy day, academy prospectus, newsletters, etc
• To ensure that the reception diary is updated regularly, i.e. with visitor details
• To ensure that the receipt of deliveries is communicated to the relevant individuals in a timely manner
• To ensure that internal and external perceptions of the academy are managed and protected within favourable boundaries, maintaining confidentiality wherever appropriate. The role holder will need to liaise with colleagues and external contacts at all levels of seniority with confidence, tact and diplomacy.
• To undertake any task as directed by the Principal, Vice Principals or line manager
• You may from time to time be required to work after school and weekends due to the events planned for the day/week, therefore flexibility is essential.
• Commitment to the safeguarding and welfare of all pupils
• This post is subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure.
• Undertake Fire Marshal and First Aid training.
• This job description is subject to change with the agreement of the post holder.
Person Specification: School Administrator/Receptionist
• Right to work in UK
• NVQ L3 qualified or equivalent
• Experience of running effective administrative and clerical systems within a school context or similar
• Experience of working in a busy environment
• Understands the importance of confidentiality and discretion
• Competent user of a range of ICT applications including Microsoft office.
• Excellent literacy and communication skills, including written and oral
• Professional telephone manner
• Good computer skills, in particular using Word, Excel, Internet and Email
• Strong administrative and organisational skills
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Genuine passion and a belief in the potential of every pupil
• Helpful, calm, caring, professional and positive attitude
• Highly skilled and adaptable ‘people skills’
• Flexible attitude to work and willingness to support colleagues.
• A ‘can do’ approach
• Commitment to the safeguarding and welfare of all pupils
• Willingness to develop self and skills
• This post is subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Ark is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people in our academies. In order to meet this responsibility, we follow a rigorous selection process. But can be provided in more detail if requested. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.