The core purpose of role of the Second in Maths/Lead Practitioner is to support the Head of Department in driving the vision and ethos of that department (in line with the Academy ethos) and to ensure that all students/groups of students within their area make at least good progress and that the standard of teaching and learning enables all students to maximise their academic potential.
• To support the HOD in the regular tracking of student data on four matrix (and other department tracking systems) and implementing appropriate interventions to tackle underachievement.
• To support the HOD in contributing to discussions on course selection and implementation.
• To support the HOD in creating Schemes of Learning that will challenge every student/groups of students and fulfil internal/external curriculum and assessment requirements.
• Monitoring and evaluating the quality of learning including planning, lesson delivery, teacher feedback, assessment, homework, differentiation and classroom management.
• Work with the HOD in developing a curriculum vision and plans that help the Academy adapt to coming changes within provision in their curriculum area.
• Lead identified staff within the department through Performance Management. Ensure the process is used in such a way as to improve outcomes for students.
• Providing high visibility around the school embodying the Academy’s high expectations to students and staff.
• To uphold and actively support the Academy’s policies and procedures on the safeguarding of young people.