Teaching Opportunities with Shanghai United International School - China
Shanghai United International School has over a dozen schools in Shanghai, as well as four other schools in locations within mainland China.
Hongqiao-Gubei Campus is in enviably close proximity to the city centre of Shanghai. We educate over 1200 students from grades 6-12 (UK Years 7-13) on two campuses.
Hongqiao-Gubei School is a well-resourced, private school catering to both Chinese and expatriate students. We have a large expatriate teaching body, and the school leadership team is a co-leadership system, comprised of a British Head Teacher and a Chinese Head Teacher.
As a school we pride ourselves on professional development opportunities. We run regular training in P4C, Cambridge and training from other external providers. Our organization also provide two free school places for dependents alongside competitive salary and housing benefits.
We are looking for the following subject specialist to join our expanding team:
English Teacher with the possibility of Teaching and Learning Responsibility post.
To assume responsibility for teaching English, under the direction of the Head of English, and the Heads of School, following the English National Curriculum.
The successful candidate will play a key role in the development of the English Curriculum at SUIS Hongqiao-Gubei School. The school is looking for a candidate who would relish the challenge of enhancing our, already first-rate, English Department.
The teacher will ensure that the subject is delivered in a way that provides coverage, progression and continuity by effectively working within a team. The teacher will also be required to carry out other such duties as the Heads of School or Heads of Department may reasonably direct from time to time. He/she is expected to display the highest standards of professionalism in his/her teaching and in his/her relationships with colleagues and parents.
The teacher must ensure that an excellent academic environment is provided for the learning of English, and that the students develop a positive attitude to the subject within the School. The teacher must present lessons in a structured and coordinated manner with due regard to the ability of the students and the curriculum targets of the particular year group.
Teaching and Learning
1. Contribute to the holistic well-being of all pupils and specifically to those assigned to your individual care.
2. Teach English lessons independently.
3. Undertake registration duties and minor pastoral duties in the morning as a from tutor.
4. Complete teaching plans on time and to a high standard through collaboration with other members of the English Department.
5. Participate in co-planning meetings with international and Chinese teachers. Contribute ideas during discussions.
6. Constantly monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of your own teaching, maintaining good standards of practice and ensuring progression. Work collaboratively and effectively with your team.
7. Participate fully in the Staff Appraisal system, with classroom observations of colleagues and a willingness to be personally observed within the classroom. Submit books, records or planning as required for monitoring by colleagues or the Head of English.
9. Be involved in developing, implementing and monitoring all school policies regarding English, and to assist in the necessary documentation pertaining to the subject, where required by the Head of English.
10. Assist with the resourcing of English for the School, and work with the Head of English and the Heads of school in drawing up the annual order.
11. Consistently, and diligently, apply the rules of the school in order to maintain discipline, standards of dress and to safeguard the happiness, safety and well-being of all students. To ensure that students know, understand and follow the school rules.
12. Provide opportunities for the wider-community to be involved in our day-to-day school lives.
1. Make parents feel welcome and build good relationship with parents.
2. Introduce information regarding the English curriculum.
3. Collect information of pupils’ interests and growth from parents.
4. Provide consultations and support to parents’ enquiries.
5. Share students’ information provided by parents with Heads of Grade and other teachers who teach the student.
6. Attend Parents’ Meetings as required and provide accurate, honest information regarding the progress of individuals in English.
7. Report to the parents in the form of regular reports, and when may be additionally required by the Heads of School.
1. Be positive and build good relationship with colleagues.
2. Complete tasks on time.
3. Provide cover for absent colleagues as and when deemed necessary by the leadership team.
4. Play a full role in the weekly extra-curricular activities programme. The programme will take place outside of the prescribed teaching hours, but within school hours, as directed by the Heads of School and the ECA coordinator.
5. Make a contribution to school assemblies, and newsletters, and by so doing highlight the work carried out by students in the subject.
6. Promote an ethos of equality and equal opportunities for all pupils within the setting.
7. Protect privacy of pupils, pupils’ families and colleagues.
8. Maintain the highest standards of care, child protection and safeguarding at all times.
9. Emphasize the importance of safety, and of safe methods of working, in the classroom, and indeed in all areas of the school and the curriculum. Communicate to the students that they must have a responsible attitude to equipment and materials, with which they have been provided, and that they will be disciplined, and possibly charged, for damage inflicted upon school property.
10. Carry out duties in the School as required and timetabled by the Heads of School. This will include some breaktime supervision and lunchtime supervision.
11. Maintain, with the rest of the teaching staff, high standards of conduct both in and out of the classroom. Act always in a way that conforms to the school ethos and values, and is in the best interests of the students.
12. Set high expectations and standards for the achievement of pupils and your personal performance.
13. Contribute as fully as possible to the annual calendar of school events, in whatever way possible.
Education: Bachelor’s degree and teaching certificate
Major: English or related education majors
Language: Chinese speaker and English speaker
Working Experience : A minimum of 2 years working experience in teaching English post qualification.
Knowledge of English teaching
Be able to assess pupils’ interests, needs and developments
Be able to develop curriculum
Open, proactive, patient and caring
Proficiency with Microsoft and Apple Computers
Experience of the English National Curriculum either domestically or internationally is preferred
Please email us your CV and cover letter, with a formal photograph of yourself, to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate the position you are applying for in the subject header.
Shanghai United International School - Hongqiao Campus
- Mainstream school with state funding
- Primary School
- Students of mixed gender, age 5 - 11 years