37.5 hours per week, Term time 38 weeks, plus INSET days, plus one week (40 weeks)
Actual salary £17,753 per annum a leadership allowance of up to 20k is possible for someone with suitable skills and experience.
Do you have a scientific background or interest, or do you have practical Laboratory Technician experience? Bohunt School in Wokingham is seeking to appoint a STEM Technician to support teaching and learning in STEM; experience is preferable but not essential.
Bohunt School Wokingham is a brand new secondary school which opened to year 7 in September 2016, growing to 1500. It is part of the Bohunt Education Trust built upon the success of Bohunt School Liphook.
· Ofsted "Outstanding" in all areas.
· STEMNET STEM Leader of the Year Award 2013
· Winner of the TES (Times Educational Supplement) Overall School of the Year 2014
· TESLA – teaching school alliance since 2013
The role mainly involves supporting a team of technicians to provide technical support, ensuring that equipment is functioning properly and is ready to use, and that the right materials are available for particular lessons. Sometimes laboratory technicians may be expected to work closely with students to explain or demonstrate experiments or how to use equipment, as well as helping teachers with a class and supporting individual students on research projects.
- Some of the typical work activities are as follows:
- Overseeing the daily work quality of other STEM technicians.
- Managing the stock control of equipment and other materials.
- Record keeping, e.g. for students' practical sessions, tracking methods, results, budgets, etc.
- Liaising with the Head of STEM & staff at regular intervals to discuss and prepare plans for schemes of work.
- Running trials of projects prior to classes and then demonstrating techniques for practical work for lessons.
- Supporting the work of teachers in classes and workshop sessions and giving technical advice to staff and students.
- Preparing equipment and resources before lessons as requested by the teaching staff for lessons.
This is an excellent opportunity for a D&T or Science Technician to help shape the development and infrastructure of STEM as a pioneering flagship for the new school, and opportunities for career progression for the right person are extensive. Salary dependent upon knowledge and experience, applications will be considered as they are received. CVs are not accepted.