Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the above permanent, term time only, post which offers an excellent opportunity to work in this highly successful sixth form college.
The Student Health and Welfare Coordinator will play a vital role in supporting the pastoral work in the College. Providing advice and support to students on a range of mental and physical health related issues, you will be required to work closely with the Senior Tutors, and Assistant Principal (Pastoral). You will also be responsible for providing advice and “signposting’” guidance to staff and students with regard to student welfare (both mental and physical) including the provision of Care Plans/Risk assessments as needed and developed in collaboration with other relevant staff and external bodies. You will also be required to liaise, as directed, with external agencies such as GPs, mental health teams, Safeguarding and Children’s Social Care.
The successful candidate will also be involved in the provision and organisation of health initiatives such as vaccination programmes and in the development of relevant health and welfare related tutorial activities, and provision of health and welfare related information for students.
Purpose of the Post
To work closely with the Assistant Principal (Pastoral) and Senior Tutors to support the pastoral work in the College, all duties complying with relevant Health and Safety legislation and good practice.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide advice and support to students on a range of mental and physical health related concerns as and when necessary
2. Liaise with external agencies such as GPs, Mental Health Team, Safeguarding, CCG etc.
3. Liaise with the ‘Designated Safeguarding Lead on Safeguarding issues
4. Support Senior Tutors, Personal Tutors and subject staff in dealing with students with particular mental and physical health related issues
5. Administer First Aid provision, including liaison with Learning Support and organise First Aid Rota
6. Liaise with ‘Trips and Visits’ Team on student health issues and provision of First Aid boxes in conjunction with other relevant staff
7. Provide Care Plans/Risk Assessments for students and staff as needed in conjunction with other relevant staff
8. Organise ‘one off’ health initiatives e.g. vaccinations
9. Support and develop health-related Tutorial activities, including health weeks (liaison with AP Pastoral and AP Additional Studies)
10. Undertake such other duties as may reasonably be requested by management, commensurate with the post.
Responsible to: Assistant Principal (Pastoral)
Assistant Principal (Additional Studies)
Special conditions/Points to note
- The above are the main areas of responsibility and are not intended to be a comprehensive list of all administrative duties which are seen as part of the post
- The purpose of the job description is to indicate the general level of duties and responsibility of the post. The detailed duties may vary from time to time without changing the general character or level of responsibility entailed
- All duties must be carried out in accordance with relevant Health and Safety legislation and good practice
- The college is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of Children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment.
1. Excellent communication skills
2. Ability to prioritise and assess the needs of students whilst working in a busy environment
3. An understanding of mental health and welfare issues, ideally in a school/college context
4. An understanding of keeping children safe in education
1. Experience of working with teenagers/young adults with mental and/or physical health conditions
2. Mental Health First Aid and/or First Aid qualification (or a willingness to undertake training upon commencing the role)
3. Knowledge of local health and social care providers and other relevant agencies
Further details about the College are also available on the College website: www.colchsfc.ac.uk including the ‘documents’ section which contains the 2018 OFSTED Inspection report, the latest College prospectus and the examination results amongst other materials.
To apply for this post, a College application form must be completed (unaccompanied CV’s will not be accepted).
Closing Date: 12 noon Friday 29th June 2018