Reports to: Subject Department Head, Kings’ School Al Barsha
This role requires an outstanding practitioner with an ambitious appetite for success and a clear idea of how this success can be secured within the Business Studies & Economics curriculum so that students enjoy their learning and thrive in terms of achievement and attainment.
You will be able to develop the Business Studies and Economics curriculum that will ensure the ‘best by every child’ and give them the very best pathway through to our Sixth Form and beyond.
Ensuring high standards in teaching, learning and assessment
• Deliver high quality innovative and exciting lessons in the spirit of the vision for learning set out by the school.
• Plan effectively for high quality teaching, learning and assessment through the creative design and effective implementation of Assessments and Schemes of Work.
• Engage in a collaborative approach to planning.
• Engage in or deliver appropriate Continual Professional Development opportunities to enhance the quality of teaching, learning and assessment.
• Maintain a high awareness of current pedagogical and subject specific developments and adopt as appropriate.
• Assist in, and engage with, the monitoring and evaluation of the quality of teaching, learning and assessment within your Subject Area.
• Ensure home learning is used effectively to enhance and develop independent student learning.
• Plan and lead high quality educational trips and events that will enhance learning.
• Create a high quality learning environment in the Subject Area through learning focussed displays and resources.
Ensuring Excellent Outcomes for Students
• Maintain a high awareness of how students can secure excellent outcomes in public examinations within your Subject Area through CPD, examination board marking and thorough analyses of past papers, recalled scripts and examiners reports.
• Ensure Assessments and Schemes of Work in all Key Stages are designed to give students a high awareness of how to be successful and equip them with the skills to do so.
• Give students effective formative feedback in line with the School’s assessment policy that is responded to effectively to enable them to be successful.
• Use School and departmental systems to track student attainment, progress, effort, conduct and organisation.
• Use internal and external attainment, progress and attitudinal data effectively to support the progress of all students.
• Design and implement high impact interventions both in and outside of lessons that remedy underperformance.
• Liaise with Form Tutors, Year Leaders, Senior Leaders and any other relevant people to communicate key information about student attainment, progress and behaviour.
• Communicate key information about students to parents in a timely manner through appropriate forms of communication.
The School will seek to identify these attributes through the recruitment and selection process of application, certification, interviews and professional references.
Essential Qualifications & Attainment
• Honours degree at 2.1 or above.
• Qualified Teacher Status.
• PGCE (Desirable)
• 2/3 years of teaching experience at Secondary level
• Essential Qualities
• A deep and passionate commitment to the values and ethos of Kings’ Education.
• The ability to motivate, enthuse and engage with children and adults.
• Energy, vigour, perseverance, stamina and resilience.
• A demonstrable commitment to a robust culture of high expectations & quality care.
• The ability to challenge and improve performance with staff and students.
• The ability to communicate with a wide range of audiences including students, parents, teachers, associate staff and Governors, as well as external contacts required by the role.
• Excellent classroom practitioner.
• Proven track record in teaching examination classes and achieving excellent results.
• Excellent professional knowledge and understanding developed in an established educational context.
• Current educational trends and issues, including local and national policies, priorities and legislation, underpinning school effectiveness.
• Assessment strategies and the use of assessment to inform progress in teaching and learning.
• An understanding of the practical application of key strands of Kings’ Education vision for the school, such as communication, innovation, STEAM, new technologies and Growth Mindset.
Essential Leadership & Management Skills
• Outstanding classroom practitioner who can lead by example.
• Ability to manage change and work under pressure of changing circumstances.
• An exceptional, collaborative, inspirational practitioner with proven ability to build positive working relationships.
• The ability to communicate with a range of stakeholders.
• Experience as a subject teacher in a secondary setting.
• A track record of success in raising achievement and bringing about improvement.
• Experience of working in a high performing Business Studies and Economics Department/School.
• The teacher of Business Studies & Economics will work to the professional duties set out in this job description and undertake any other duties determined in agreement with the Principal.
• The job description details responsibilities but does not direct any particular priorities or amount of time to be spent carrying out these duties.
• This job description is not prescriptive, nor necessarily a comprehensive definition of the post. As such, it may be subject to amendment, after consultation, to meet the changing needs of Kings’ Schools into the future.