Salary: The UCL Academy Main Scale 1-6 plus an enhanced allowance for all teaching staff.
Contract Type: Permanent or fixed, Part time (2-3 days per week)
Location: Swiss Cottage, London Borough of Camden, NW3 3AQ
Start Date: 1 September 2021
“The school’s work to promote pupils’ personal development and welfare is outstanding” OFSTED 2016
Are you a creative and enthusiastic individual with great teaching qualities? Would you be interested in working in an academy that offers unique links to UCL and an innovative connected curriculum and collaborative approach? If yes, we encourage you to apply for the position of Teacher of Drama at the state-of-the-art UCL Academy. Proudly rated Good by Ofsted in all 4 categories in June 2016, The UCL Academy is a mixed 11-19 Academy that opened its doors in the heart of the London Borough of Camden in 2012. We offer iconic state-of-the-art facilities, training and development opportunities and the chance to work with the latest innovations in classroom technology.
Please note that this post is part time. We are currently offering a 2-3-day week contract. There may be some flexibility for other opportunities depending on the candidate, including the possibility to undertake cover supervision on the days you would not be employed to teach
• State-of-the-art classroom technology – including our unique Superstudios, subject specialism suites and demonstration theatres for interactive teaching and talks by visiting academics;
• Unlimited access to opportunities for self-development and intensive weekly Continuing Professional Learning;
• A whole-school wellbeing strategy;
• An exclusive partnership with UCL, where staff have access to unrivalled University libraries and resources; we benefit terrifically from our supportive partnership with UCL. Staff and students alike develop their teaching and learning in exciting ways informed by the latest research.
• Suitable IT equipment for all teaching and support staff;
• A generous health care plan, including reimbursement for optical, dental, physiotherapy and a range of other areas, 24/7 GP access, free counselling and discounted membership at over 2,000 gyms nationwide;
• Cycle to Work scheme with ample space for bike storage and season ticket loans.
About the Department
Drama forms part of the Performance Faculty (Art, Drama, Food Technology and Music). The Drama department has a partnership with the Central School of Speech and Drama and are currently part of the Old Vic Schools Club where we annually receive free tickets to four Old Vic shows and receive the opportunity to have Old Vic facilitators work with our students. We have put on an annual production, the most recent being the highly successful School of Rock and we regularly attend theatre performances with our students. We are looking for someone who can support us with driving this work forward and ensuring we have excellent partnerships and opportunities in place for all of our students, building on the successes already achieved. Staff from both institutions work collaboratively, with those from the university being used aspirationally with the academy’s students.
At UCL Academy we encourage all of our students to be creative and to participate in productions as well as smaller performances in assemblies and through our diverse extra-curricular activities. We are excited about welcoming passionate, ambitious and motivated candidates to join our team on our journey to ‘outstanding’.
You can also visit www.uclacademy.co.uk for more information or why not watch our school video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIeTNCsBThc&t=1s
What we Want
• Passion about your subject;
• Well-organised teaching professionals, who can work independently and collaboratively;
• Sound understanding of current areas of development in the subject;
• Have a clear understanding of the diverse needs of students and knows how to address them;
• Have high expectations, sets and delivers high standards and commands credibility through expertise;
• Able to plan, assess, review and evaluate effectively and efficiently through good analysis, understanding and interpretation of data/evidence and other information.
Salary: The UCL Academy Main Pay Scale 1-6 (Inner London Equivalent) plus an enhanced allowance for all teaching staff
How To Apply
To apply please complete and submit a detailed application form, through the link provided. Your application is a direct application to The UCL Academy. We are currently not accepting applications via agencies. We may ask for a recorded online learning lesson (or other selected tasks) to be provided as part of the interview process if available due to Covid-19 restrictions.
We may interview candidates ahead of the closing date so early application is advised. The Academy reserves the right to interview and appoint prior to the advertised closing date. The advert may be closed at any time.
Closing Date: Wednesday 14 April 2021 at 12pm (midday)
The Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. All appointments will be subject to receipt of satisfactory Enhanced DBS check, pre-employment checks and a probation period.
Please note that if you have not heard from the Academy within 2 weeks after the closing date, please assume you have been unsuccessful.
We may interview candidates ahead of the closing date so early application is advised. The Academy reserves the right to interview and appoint prior to the advertised closing date.
The UCL Academy, Camden
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- Secondary School
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 18 years
The UCL Academy is sponsored by UCL, a world-class, multifaculty, research-led university. UCL's vision is an innovative Academy for pupils aged 11 to 18. We are a comprehensive, co-educational, non-denominational, fully inclusive and an active membe...