Malvern College Hong Kong is an authorised IB PYP and MYP school and is a candidate school for the Diploma programme. MCHK currently has 800 pupils in Prep 1 to Hundred (Years 1-11). In August 2021, we expect to be close to 1000 pupils and look forward to welcoming our first Sixth Form Cohort.
The successful applicant will be part of the PYP Learning Enhancement team and will be expected to support children with a variety of learning enhancement needs including those with English as an additional language.
As a Malvern College teacher the successful applicant will play a full role in the school’s curricular, co-curricular and pastoral programmes.
- Work closely with the Head of Learning Enhancement (LE), PYP Curriculum Co-ordinators and colleagues to ensure the effective delivery of the PYP programmes and to design and implement a relevant, challenging and rigorous curriculum;
- Develop and implement delivery of the EAL programme according to MCHK’s curriculum plans and expectations.
- Work collaboratively with classroom teachers to improve the English language proficiency of all bilingual pupils.
- Work collaboratively with Head of LE and classroom teachers to design and deliver courses of English Language to all pupils with English language needs, using content-based instruction as a means of developing linguistic ability.
- Provide learning opportunities for each child relative to her/his needs, abilities and stages of development, ensuring attention is given to appropriate differentiation;
- Evaluate teaching and learning achievement using the results to modify teaching and to improve children's learning programmes.
- Monitor pupils' progress and keep accurate, cumulative records of children's achievements to enable effective reporting of pupil development and achievement to parents and classroom teachers.
- Advocate for English language learners by facilitating community involvement and empowerment, fostering intercultural understanding and aiding mainstream teachers of learners with diverse language backgrounds who may struggle to access the content curriculum.
- Contribute to collaborative learning at all levels of College life;
- Create inquiry-based learning that develops critical thinking skills, knowledge and a range of skills within an environment based on trust and respect;
- Select relevant resources and digital tools to support and enhance learning;
- Develop appropriate assessment tasks, providing timely and effective feedback that enhances pupils’ learning which is shared with both class teachers and parents.
- Implement an assessment system (in line with College procedure and practice) that relates directly to the pupil's personal learning and progress.
- Identify pupils in need of EAL support upon entry into the College by assisting the Head of Primary in conducting individual and group assessments using the WIDA Screener assessment tools.
- Develop and update EAL learner profiles detailing linguistic, cultural, experiential and social & emotional assets in accordance with the College’s Inclusion Policy.
- Communicate effectively with pupils, parents and colleagues in a professional manner;
- Attend Parents’ Meetings, Open Mornings, Admissions Days and Professional Development as appropriate;
- Play an active role in the College’s co-curricular programme; and
- Assist with any other duties, tasks or jobs as may be reasonably requested by the Headmaster.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in relevant subject;
- A recognised teaching qualification for the required age range (e.g. B.Ed., PGCE);
- Appropriate training and qualification in the teaching of EAL;
- Minimum two years’ teaching experience in EAL education;
- Previous experience of teaching the IB PYP is preferred, although outstanding candidates without prior IB experience will be considered;
- An appreciation of the IB Philosophy is required;
- Prior IB training is required before taking up the post at minimum Category 1 level;
- Ability to communicate with pupils, colleagues and parents, and to build strong relationships with all members of the College community;
- Ability to work collaboratively;
- Familiarity with various teaching resources including, where appropriate, digital tools to support and enhance teaching and learning;
- Sensitivity to the cultural differences found in Hong Kong and the willingness to develop and maintain a cross-cultural approach to work; and
- A willingness and commitment to contribute fully to the life of the pupils and College beyond the academic day, including active participation in the academic enrichment and co-curricular programmes.
All applications should be submitted online via TES. You are required to complete your online profile and supporting statement and upload your CV with photo. You are also required to provide details of three referees.
Contract Type: Full time, Two Years
Start date: August 2021
Closing date: Interviews will be on a rolling basis and as such early applications are encouraged.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted to arrange an interview via Skype or in person. Candidates may be contacted at any stage after submitting their applications.
Malvern College Hong Kong exists to provide a quality all round education for students and is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. Candidates must be prepared to undergo child protection screening and appropriate pre-employment checks. Please note that we will need to take up the references provided in your application form prior to interview.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any queries about this role. Please note that a CV will not be accepted in place of the online application form.
For further information about Malvern College Hong Kong, please visit our website at http://www.malverncollege.org.hk/. To find out more about the Malvern College International family, please visit www.malverncollegeinternational.org
Malvern College Hong Kong
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through School
- Students of mixed gender, age 5 - 16 years
Malvern College Hong Kong (MCHK) opened its doors to its first pupils in August 2018. This co-educational day school caters largely for international pupils, reflecting the truly multi-cultural nature of this vibrant city. Malvern College Hong ...