Downside School is looking to appoint a well-qualified and inspiring Teacher of English to cover a maternity leave from January to December 2018. The successful candidate will be able to teach Years 7 to 13, and ideally up to Oxbridge entrance level. It is essential that the appointed person is an effective team member, who can help to promote English by means of academic enrichment, and is willing to seek opportunities to develop teaching and learning within the subject. The study of English Language and Literature is integral to the intellectual and spiritual education, the formation, of our young people at Downside. Candidates for this role will be passionate about teaching pupils of the highest calibre. Our latest ISI inspection report states that ‘the quality of pupils’ achievement and learning is excellent’ and ‘the quality of teaching is excellent overall’.
The successful candidate should possess the drive and determination to enthuse all pupils to reach the highest standards. As a boarding School, all our Teachers engage fully in co-curricular activities and the boarding life of the School.
We are looking for someone who:
• Demonstrates excellent subject knowledge and a passion for English.
• Has an ability to teach successfully at GCSE and A level.
• Can engender an atmosphere within lessons which is conducive to active learning and encourages pupils to learn collaboratively.
• Inspires and motivates pupils to strive for excellence.
• Is committed to their own professional development.
• Embraces our Benedictine, Catholic ethos.
We can offer:
• Motivated, hard-working pupils.
• A supportive, skilled and innovative staff team.
• Plenty of opportunities for CPD, and pastoral and co-curricular involvement.
• Pay above the national scale.
• An inspiring, intellectually rewarding work environment.
Closing date for applications: Tuesday 21st November, by 10am
Interviews will be held Monday 27th November 2017
To apply please use the TES application below,
Please contact the recruitment email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you require further information after reading the application pack.
Downside School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening, including checks with past employers and the DBS. We are an equal opportunities employer. By car, we are within 40 minutes of Bristol, 30 minutes of Bath and 15 minutes of Wells. Registered Charity Number: 1158507