About the role: English at Mascalls is a thriving, dynamic and forward thinking department. Student centred, we pride ourselves on strong leadership, excellent outcomes and high expectations of all. Having successfully navigated the recent changes to specifications, our curriculum from Year 7 is rigorous, engaging and structured to build, interleave and consolidate the skills needed to prepare students for success at GCSE and for life!
We now have a vacancy for a Teacher of English to join our team from January 2019, on a maternity cover basis. We can be flexible regarding a full-time or part-time arrangement to suit the successful candidate's preference. For the right candidate, there is the opportunity to teach at all three Key Stages. Please click here to view the Job Description which is in-line with the National Teaching Standards. Here is an overview of what we offer our students at Mascalls Academy;
At Key Stage 3, we offer:
- An interesting and vibrant curriculum from Shakespeare to 21st Century fiction via poetry from other cultures and A Level Language inspired non-fiction study
- A knowledge based testing programme to build confidence in high level vocabulary and terminology
- Accelerated reader programme in Years 7 and 8
- Extra curricular creative writing club
At Key Stage 4, we follow the Edexcel specification for both Language and Literature including:
- ‘An Inspector Calls’, ‘A Christmas Carol’,’Macbeth’
- 19th Century unseen fiction 20th and 21st Century unseen non-fiction
At Key Stage 5, we follow the Edexcel specification:
- Language and Literature as discrete A Levels
- Theatre and British Library trips for enrichment
- ‘Atonement’, ‘Hard Times’, Victorian and Post-2000 poetry, ‘A Streetcar Named Desire’ and ‘Othello’
In return, our successful candidate will receive:
- A salary commensurate with experience
- Professional coaching and support to enhance teaching and learning
- Laptop computer
- Performance related salary enhancement
- Opportunity to teach across Key Stage 3, 4 and 5
- Bespoke CPD programme
- Complementary holistic therapy to support staff wellbeing
- Free use of a staff gym
- A thriving social and community ethos
We’re keen to hear from you if you are:
- An excellent teacher with an outstanding record
- Collaborative, building strong professional relationships
- Able to motivate and inspire students to achieve their full potential
- Energetic and have a ‘can-do’ attitude
- Someone who has a measurable impact as an individual teacher and throughout the school
- Confident and aspire to senior leadership
- Committed to the happiness and wellbeing of everyone at the school
Working at Mascalls Academy: Mascalls Academy is a secondary school at the heart of the community and our small school model ensures that each and every student gets the personal support and challenge they need to reach their full potential. The academy is divided into four colleges – Shackleton, Earhart, Luther King and Marie Curie Sixth Form College each having their own personality and range of specialisms, allowing them to be unique.
Mascalls Academy is a high achieving institution. Our recent OFSTED inspection notes “ambitious leadership has established an ethos where staff are committed to driving standards up”, that Mascalls is a “happy place to be” and that “staff feel valued”. Our judgement that we are a ‘Good’ school with ‘Outstanding’ leadership and behaviour is accurate. It is our vision to become ‘Outstanding’ in every category. Our most recent inspection can be found here.
We can offer you the chance to be part of a strong and collaborative department, not only within Mascalls but with the wider Trust as well. Full support will be provided and you’ll have the tools and environment needed to teach in a way that works for you. We know that being a teacher can be both challenging and rewarding in equal measures and that you thrive on inspiring young adults and stimulating their curiosity. We aim to give our teachers the freedom to innovate and inspire our students as we know this is a crucial ingredient to driving great learning outcomes.
Being part of Leigh Academies Trust: As part of Leigh Academies Trust you will have the opportunity to collaborate with your peers and share best practice at academy level and across the whole Trust. This is an important part of our vision as we know through experience that we perform better when we work together.
Diversity at our core: As a Trust we are passionate about diversity and recognise that as individuals we all bring something unique to the role regardless of age, gender, race, beliefs or disabilities which is why we treat all of our people equally, without compromise. We require all staff within the Trust to complete an enhanced DBS check as part of our on-boarding process in order to safeguard our students.