About the role: The Leigh UTC Academy are seeking to appoint a Teacher of Geography and History to join us in September 2020. This is a truly fantastic opportunity for a passionate teacher to become part of a well established, highly collaborative and successful team as we are confident that our teaching and support teams, our facilities and most importantly our students will inspire you. The timetable will consist of KS3 combined Humanities using MYP, and possibly a portion of KS4 History teaching. MYP training will be offered to the successful candidate if required.
Here at the Leigh UTC, we invest heavily so that staff have ongoing access to high-quality professional development and a curriculum focused on developing conceptual understanding. You would be part of an organisation that will develop your career; we have a fantastic track record and there are numerous opportunities for professional development.
We’re keen to hear from you if you are:
- An excellent teacher with a record of excellent outcomes.
- Collaborative, building strong professional relationships.
- Able to motivate and inspire students and staff to achieve their full potential.
- Energetic and have a ‘can-do’ attitude.
- Someone who has a measurable impact as an individual teacher and throughout the school.
- Committed to the happiness and wellbeing of everyone at the school.
Please view the Job Description which is in-line with the National Teaching Standards.
Working with us: Having opened in September 2014 with state-of-the-art facilities originally for Key Stage 4 and 5, The Leigh UTC provides an exciting, innovative, business-led, problem-solving curriculum, enabling students to achieve relevant work-related qualifications and transferable skills for future training or employment. The most unique feature of The Leigh UTC is its business ethos that are emphasised by our students' behaviours and supported by our sponsors.
In September 2017, following the request of the Department for Education due to our continued success, The Leigh UTC marked history by expanding its student intake to incorporate Key Stage 3 – the first UTC in the UK to do this. Furthermore, being the first UTC to have IB World School Status has enabled us to develop strong links in Germany and Qatar. Having IB Status will enable us to further develop the mid-years programme (MYP) for our Key Stage 3 students and thus providing a joined-up pathway from ages 11 to 19. The overarching mission of the Inspiration Academy is to develop curious, academically-skilled young people who aspire to be principled, compassionate learners. Our curriculum strives to create students who are self-motivated, competent, willing to take risks and lifelong learners.
Recent Ofsted success! We have recently been judged as Good with Outstanding Leadership in our first inspection since opening. Our key successes and features that our successful candidate can be part of are as follows;
- The promotion of pupils’ personal development and welfare is outstanding
- Pupils, including the disadvantaged and those who have special educational needs and/or disabilities, catch up from previous underachievement and make strong and often rapid progress in a range of subjects and disciplines
- Application to learning is often exemplary
- The Leigh UTC makes a real difference for its pupils and surrounding area. Pupils become motivated to find and follow their passions. They leave well equipped to succeed in engineering and related technical and design careers and contribute to the economy.
- The Principal, with his leaders and staff team, model a high-quality working environment. This rubs off on pupils, who value the supportive ethos, work-like atmosphere.
Being part of the Leigh Academies Trust: Being part of a successful multi-academy trust allows the academy to share best practice and collaborate with colleagues from a number of other academies in the local area. As part of the 'cluster' structure all of our academies are grouped together in key geographical area to enable them to be able to support each other and share resources. It also offers staff better access to career opportunities as the Trust is committed to developing and promoting from within wherever possible. We also want the Trust to be an organisation where people can enjoy teaching and become the type of teacher they aspire to be. For more information on working for the Trust please visit our careers pages.
Diversity at our core: As a Trust we are passionate about diversity and recognise that as individuals we all bring something unique to the role regardless of age, gender, race, beliefs or disabilities which is why we treat all of our people equally, without compromise.
The academy is committed to safeguarding children and successful candidates will be subject to an Enhanced DBS check. Our commitment to safeguarding is underpinned by robust processes and checks which are in place across the Trust.
Recruitment and hiring during COVID-19: Despite the challenges we face, recruitment and hiring will continue for all Leigh Academies Trust vacancies with as little disruption as possible over the coming weeks and months. This is for all senior, teaching and support staff appointments. Applications will still be reviewed and interviews conducted in a timely manner, although interview activities may vary. We will still conduct face to face interviews where possible, and will abide by social distancing protocols such as no hand-shaking, using large meeting rooms, etc. Candidates will be given the option to interview via online video if you cannot attend in person - this can be discussed if your application is shortlisted. If you have any queries or concerns, please get in touch with the LAT Talent Team - firstname.lastname@example.org.