The Oriel History Department
INNOVATIVE, MOTIVATED AND SUCCESSFUL
The Oriel History team currently consists of 3 full-time teachers. There are three fullsize History classrooms all with interactive whiteboard, projector and teacher’s PC, along with a dedicated Humanities Resource Room which offers a communal workspace for Humanities Faculty teachers. Additionally smaller seminar rooms are available for Sixth Form lessons.
The History teachers at Oriel aim to provide every student with the opportunity to develop their historical knowledge, progress in their historical thinking and learn to write as historians. History is very popular, both in uptake at GCSE and at A-Level, and with an exciting KS3 enrichment programme which includes Oriel History Day, held every year, to celebrate the outstanding independent History work being produced by our students.
Our curriculum has a broad chronological range of British and Non-British history across all key stages, where we drive the development of second-order historical concepts, offering a lot of opportunity to adapt your teaching to your own expertise and the needs of your students. Oriel History teachers encourage students to extend their History knowledge by engaging in further reading and promoting independence at KS4 and KS5. Our approach to teaching interleaves the necessary skills with establishing a passion and enthusiasm for the subject beyond the classroom. Our team is committed to ensuring that every student is successful in their journey studying History at Oriel.
We are looking to appoint someone who…...
- Is knowledgeable and passionate about all aspects of History, who is motivated to support students in achieving their full potential and who wants to join a committed and enthusiastic team of historians.
- Will lead in providing first-class teaching and learning for our students; as well as being an excellent collaborator to drive the knowledge agenda and pedagogy within the department.
- Has experience of teaching History across KS3 and KS4.
- Has either experience of or a strong desire to teach History at KS5.
- Is willing to support the department in delivering extra-curricular opportunities, and study-supports sessions guiding students with their on-going learning at GCSE and A-Level.
We have excellent support for NQTs and would welcome applications from newly qualified teachers who would like to grow and develop in an innovative and forward thinking department; or more experienced teachers. Oriel has a detailed NQT training package praised by West Sussex and actively encourages CPD throughout the school with a comprehensive program for teachers at all stages of their careers
For further information please see: http://oriel.w-sussex.sch.uk