The British International School of New York (BIS-NY) is a dynamic and nurturing community educating children in a stunning Waterside campus in Manhattan. We are proud to welcome families from around forty countries to our school, which delivers a distinct and innovative curriculum, combining the International Baccalaureate and English National Curriculum. Alongside this rigorous and engaging curriculum, the school is also committed to providing a broad and inspiring wider programme in Sport, the Creative and Performing Arts and community service. The warmth of relations across the school and close, constructive co-operation with families are other essential ingredients in what makes the school such a great place to work and learn. 2016 was the tenth anniversary of BIS-NY and these posts arise because of the continued growth and development of the school. The school is opening a new Upper School programme from September 2018 offering Cambridge International IGCSE and A Level courses. We are looking for talented, committed and enthusiastic individuals to join our excellent team of staff and help make BIS-NY even better.
This is an exciting opportunity to join our growing Science Department and to work closely with the Head of Science in introducing the Cambridge International IGCSEs in Science from September 2018. The successful candidate should have the qualifications and experience to take the lead in designing and delivering the Physics curriculum across the Senior School, including for A Level and university entrance in the future. S/he will also be expected to contribute to the teaching of Science in Years 7-9 and ideally should be able to offer another Science subject or Maths to IGCSE. All students across the school study Science and will take Triple Award IGCSE in Physics, Chemistry and Biology. Previous experience of these qualifications or a similar GCSE curriculum will be an advantage. All staff also contribute to the wider co-curricular life of the school through clubs, trips or other activities.
- Foster a love of scientific inquiry in students
- Work closely with subject leader to develop the science curriculum
- Model excellent practice within the department
- Take the lead in design and delivery of Physics at IGCSE and A Level
- Contribute to wider provision of the school to promote the study of science
- Genuine passion for the subject and ability to share energy and infectious enthusiasm for learning with students
- Qualified teacher
- Experience in working of IGCSE and/or A Level
- Excellent communication skills and be willing to adapt to the demands of an international school
- Have the ability to manage a diverse and demanding workload
- An interest in and understanding of how children learn science
- The enthusiasm to work with staff of all year groups to promote Science and STEM throughout the school
- Flexible and able to use own initiative
- Well organised with good time management skills
- Good ICT skills and committed to its use in class teaching
- International perspective
- Knowledge of IB and/or English National Curriculum including at Key Stages 4 and 5
Why work at BIS-NY?
Combined with the traditional skills of the English National Curriculum, BIS-NY ‘s unique curriculum inspires and challenges our students to develop a love of learning and develop as balanced individuals, academically successful and willing to take risks to face the challenges of our ever changing world in the 21st century.
Our students and teachers come from all walks of life, but the enthusiasm they share for learning and teaching brings them into a unique sense of community that celebrates and thrives on diversity
A strong commitment to collaboration and being part of a team is essential for those interested in applying to be part of our school community.
- Salary – commensurate with experience
- Comprehensive benefits package – medical, dental, vision, FSA, 401 (k)
- Relocation allowance available for overseas and out of state hires
- Lunch is provided free of charge in the school dining hall
- Teachers are required to attend In-Service/Inset and Staff Meetings
- Subject to fingerprinting and background check
- The post becomes available from September 2018
The British International School of New York is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service. All appointments are also subject to the receipt of satisfactory references.
Applications must be filled out online by 21st February.