Teacher of Science (Biology) – September 2018
Rashid School for Boys has a thriving Science Department of six teachers: two each for Chemistry, Biology and Physics. One of our two Biology specialists, is moving on after six years at the school. We are therefore advertising for a Teacher of Science with Biology specialism for September 2018.
The successful candidate will be creative, enthusiastic, willing to work within a team of six highly motivated teachers and have the ability to foster positive learning relationships with students. The candidate will have a range of teaching experience covering all age ranges and abilities in a secondary school, experience of A-Level Biology would be beneficial. The ability to produce resources which take into account the special needs of second language learners will also be advantageous.
The Science department has a history of examination success and the students have performed well at Key Stage 3, GCSE and A level. The department has strong links with the Language Support department in both teaching and preparation of resources.
Students are taught in five groups in years 7 and 8 and four groups in year 9, depending on ability, language skills and educational needs, Class sizes of 8 to 15 students are usual. The students are encouraged to develop investigative skills during all Key Stages. The department is very well resourced and supported by two qualified technicians.
Teaching approaches are varied and an atmosphere of enthusiastic but ordered learning is encouraged.
From September 2018 Key Stage 4 students will follow Edexcel International GCSE in Single or Double award science. Key Stage 3 students follow the National Curriculum, with regular assessments following our adapted units. Years 8 and 9 will also be externally tested using Global Learning, Progress Tests.
Year 12 offers Biology (Edexcel) to AS level and students also follow the school’s own High School Diploma course leading to graduation at the end of year 12. The Science department offers courses in Zoology, Alternative Energy, Internet Science and Robotics as elements of the diploma courses.
Year 13 offers the students the opportunity to study Biology (Edexcel) to A2 level.
● UK qualified teacher status or equivalent in Science
● Recent experience in a UK curriculum school of GCSE and A-level Biology
● Evidence of a positive and enthusiastic approach to student learning
● Be a positive team player
● A strong commitment to self-development
● The flexibility to deal with both very able pupils and those who experience difficulties in English
● An awareness of current UK educational developments
● The ability to maintain excellent relationships with pupils, parents and staff
● A willingness to teach Chemistry and Physics at KS3
● Excellent IT and computer skills
● An awareness of UK Science curriculum changes at KS3 and KS4 level
● An willingness to offer extra-curricular activities
● Experience and training in teaching pupils working in a second language