Strood Academy is seeking to appoint an engaging and passionate Science Teacher to join our highly successful team for September 2019. You’ll be joining a school at an exciting time as the rapid improvements we are making are gaining momentum. As a result of SLT’s focus on improving Teaching & Learning, strong signs of sustainable improvement have already been achieved. Your input is key to ensuring this trend continues. We need your commitment, drive and expertise from the get-go! Our successful candidate will receive fantastic career development opportunities at Strood Academy and will also have access to a range of opportunities across Leigh Academies Trust as well.
We know that excellent science teachers are in high demand which is why we are offering a recruitment and retention bonus of £2,000 (payable within your first year) to attract the right person.
What you can expect from us:
- You’ll be working with a strong, purposeful and energetic leadership team whose sole focus is the rapid improvement of Teaching and Learning throughout the school.
- You’ll be part of a rapidly improving Science Department who are proud of the significant advances already evident from our in-year data with the current Year 11s.
- You’ll be joining a diverse team of teachers, every one of whom has been integral to the improvements already made.
What we’d like from you:
- Prior experience of teaching Science to between Key Stage 3-5.
- Boundless enthusiasm for your subject, with the ability to inspire learners of all academic abilities. We find that a sense of humour helps us achieve this!
- Resilience is key. Whilst much improvement has been made, there is still a way to go.
- The duties and responsibilities of this post are in line with the National Teaching Standards.
Working for Strood Academy: Since opening in 2009, our academy has transformed the educational opportunities and outcomes for girls and boys in Strood. The improvement in academic performance has been driven by a talented and committed workforce, the hard work of our students, and support from parents and our community. Our new buildings in Carnation Road were designed in partnership with Nicholas Hare and built by BAM as our main contractor at a cost of £26m. They opened in September 2012 and have outstanding learning environments and outside play areas as well as fantastic sports facilities. The buildings reflect our education vision of creating a mature and purposeful educational environment where children of all abilities can learn and thrive.
Our core value is “Building ambition; inspiring pride” and our purpose at Strood Academy is to:
- nurture students’ aspirations and build resilience within an environment of tolerance, respect and empathy;
- shape leaders within a global community;
- develop and celebrate knowledgeable and inquiring minds to promote lifelong learning and;
- help young people develop into well educated, considerate and caring citizens.
We have a growing roll call of 1400 children, including 200 in Sixth Form. Working in our academy takes a lot of dedication and hard work, but for the right individuals it can be an incredibly rewarding experience and contribute significantly to personal and professional development.
Being part of Leigh Academies Trust: As of 1st January 2019, our Trust is comprised of 23 geographically organised academies (11 secondaries, 11 primaries and 1 special) educating over 15,000 students, and employing over 2,500 talented staff. We also have three further academies in development phase, due to open in September 2020. The Trust is establishing four ‘clusters’ of academies: North West Kent; Central Kent; South East London; Medway. In addition, the Trust is responsible for one of the region’s biggest initial teaching training providers and a large teaching school.
As part of Leigh Academies Trust you will have ample opportunity to collaborate with your peers both within the academy and across the whole Trust. This is an important part of our vision as we know through experience that we perform better when we work together. You are supported to undertake regular self-development to continue your professional development and hopefully progress further within the organisation.
We strive to offer a range of benefits that all employees can take advantage of which we regularly review and add to - click here to view what you’d receive as a member of staff with Leigh Academies Trust.
Click here for a glimpse of what life is like working for Leigh Academies Trust and why we're so proud of what we do.
Diversity at our core: As a Trust, we are passionate about diversity and recognise that as individuals we all bring something unique to the role regardless of age, gender, race, beliefs or disabilities which is why we treat all of our people equally, without compromise.
The academy is committed to safeguarding children and successful candidates will be subject to an Enhanced DBS check. Our commitment to safeguarding is underpinned by robust processes and checks which are in place across the Trust.