“One language sets you in a corridor for life. Two languages open every door along the way.” – Frank Smith
We believe there has never been a more important time for our pupils to have an international outlook. At a time when the world is looking increasingly insular, we want our pupils looking outward. It’s why we have so many international events, including expeditions and exchanges.
It’s also why we want to expand our team of modern foreign languages teachers.
Whatever your level of experience in the classroom, it’s your passion for your subject that counts. We prize love of learning above all else.
Parents love what we do. It’s why we’re so oversubscribed, with well over 4 times the amount of applications for every place we have. Teachers love working here too, which means pupils love their learning.
Our teachers work very hard but they only ever do work which is going to make a difference for our pupils. Quite simply, we believe in common sense approaches to everything. That means:
- Our teachers do minimal marking. Why bother when there are much better ways to give pupils the feedback they need?
- We never ask for lesson plans. Of any kind. Ever.
- We don’t have a teaching and learning policy because we trust teachers to decide the best approaches for their pupils.
- Although schemes of work and resources are provided, they are not prescriptive – teachers can adapt them however they like.
- There is no pressure to ‘put on a show’ in lessons: A culture of typicality is reinforced by no lesson gradings (outstanding, good, etc).
- Everyone has the highest expectations of behaviour, with all staff (not just teaching staff) reinforcing those expectations.
- A clear system of sanctions which is applied consistently so staff don’t have to have battles with pupils.
- Senior Leadership are very visible and all staff ‘own’ their corridors.
- CPD is tailored specifically to staff needs, based off their feedback. This includes a fully funded Masters programme available to everyone.
- There are no prizes for looking busy or staying late – we work in a way that suits us we make sure you make time for ourselves and our families.
That’s just 10 of the things we do to secure our teachers’ well-being. There are many more here: http://www.barrbeaconschool.co.uk/47-things-we-do-staff-well-being/
We need a talented teacher of Spanish and French who has the passion to provide pupils with the best possible experience of learning a language. Could it be you?
There’s a real buzz about our school which no amount of words can convey, so you might want to visit us before you apply. If so, get in touch.
If you are already interested in joining us, visit www.barrbeaconschool.co.uk to download an applicatio n form and send it to Lynsey Draycott: LDraycott@barrbeaconschool.co.uk
Closing date: Thursday 21st March
Early applications welcome