Teacher of Speech and Drama (Part Time)
Dean Close Senior School seeks to appoint a well qualified inspirational teacher of Speech and Drama to start as soon as possible.
The Drama Department at Dean Close is a busy and thriving community, and well-known for the quality of its actors and productions. We mount up to 12 productions each year, ranging from full-scale musicals to more intimate studio productions. Our facilities include the 600-seat purpose-built Bacon Theatre, with a huge stage and state-of-the-art lighting and sound, the Drama Studio and a suite of teaching rooms, as well as the 400-seat outdoor Tuckwell Theatre, a beautiful amphitheatre in the school grounds.
Speech and Drama lessons are delivered on a 1:1 or 1:2 basis, preparing individual pupils for examinations in RADA, LAMDA, Victoria College and other exam boards, as well as preparing students for entry in the annual Cheltenham Festival of Performing Arts in May. Outside the classroom, the successful applicant will be prepared to be fully involved in drama productions which range from Shakespeare through to the very best of modern dramatists. Expectations are very high, and we aim to give students the best in the canon of dramatic literature.
Part Time -Up to 30 – 40 lessons per two week timetable
- A very good knowledge and understanding of the canon of great drama, from the Greeks to Shakespeare to Miller (for example)
- Excellent personal acting skills
- An ability to communicate well with young people and engage their imagination, earn their trust and be able to stretch their abilities beyond what the pupils themselves might think they are capable of.
- The ability to inspire and teach pupils of different abilities and backgrounds in a co-educational context whether they are an experienced teacher or an NQT.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- High professional standards and integrity
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to meet deadlines and to prioritise within a busy boarding school environment
- Inspired by the opportunity to develop virtual learning and ICT solutions within the department
- Willingness to take part in the broader life of a busy boarding school
- A working knowledge of examination syllabuses from RADA, LAMDA and other exam boards
- Some directing experience
- Possible technical skills and experience (lighting, stage management, for example)
Dean Close School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
If you wish to apply, please send a completed application form with a covering letter plus a CV to:
HR Manager by email: email@example.com