Teaching Assistant (West Bay Campus)
Doha College is one of the oldest British curriculum schools in Qatar providing a world class education for 1914 students between the ages of 3 and 18, who represent over 72 nationalities. Established in 1980, the college was originally opened to meet the demand for a British-style education, and continues to operate under the sponsorship of the British Embassy on a not-for-profit basis.
Primary Objective of Role:
The primary purpose of the Teaching Assistant is to work under the guidance of teaching and senior staff and within an agreed system of supervision, to implement agreed work programmes with individuals / groups in and out of the classroom. This could include those requiring detailed and specialist knowledge in particular areas and will involve assisting the teacher in the whole planning cycle and the management and preparation of resources. The primary focus will be to support students in accessing the curriculum and assisting them to undertake and complete tasks.
Accountability and Responsibilities:
Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of students
- Incorporate the school’s vision, mission and core values into normal working practice.
- Be responsible for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all students that the Class Teacher comes into contact with.
- Follow the reporting procedure contained in the Child Protection Policy with regards to raising concerns about the welfare of any student.
- Act in accordance at all times within the school’s policies and procedures, including but not limited to, the Standards of Conduct Policy, Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) Policy and the Human Resources Policy Manual.
- Assist with the development, writing and implementation of IEP’s.
- Establish productive working relationships with student, acting as a role model and setting high expectations.
- Promote the inclusion and acceptance of all students within the classroom.
- Support students consistently whilst recognising and responding to their individual needs.
- Encourage students to interact and work co-operatively with other and engage all students in activities.
- Promote independence and employ strategies to recognise and reward achievements and self-reliance.
- Provide feedback to students in relation to progress and achievement.
- Work with the teacher to establish an appropriate learning environment.
- Work with the teacher in lesson planning, evaluating and adjusting lessons / work plans as appropriate.
- Monitor and evaluate student responses to learning activities through observation and planned recording of achievements against pre-determined learning objectives.
- Promote positive values, attitudes and good student behaviour, dealing promptly with any conflict and incidents in line with established policy and encourage student to take responsibility for their own behaviour.
- Implement agreed learning activities, adjusting activities according to students’ responses and needs.
- Support the use of ICT in learning activities and develop students’ competence and independence in its use.
- Help all students to access learning activities.
- Contribute to the overall ethos, work and aims of the school.
- Assist with preparing equipment, apparatus and display boards for designated activities.
- Supervising children to and from the swimming pool, including changing, as appropriate. This is a shared responsibility with the teacher.
- Assisting writing, checking and tidying resources, maintaining a well organised working environment.
- Playground duties and snack.
- Working with groups of children at the direction of the teacher.
- Assisting and implementing school policies.
- Be prepared to undertake further professional development.
- Take part in the performance development process and meet formally with Line managers to review agreed targets.
- Contribute to the planning cycle, alongside the teachers.
- To carry out any other reasonable duties are directed by the Class Teacher, Deputy or Head of Primary.
Sunday to Thursday 7.00 am to 2.00 pm. Term time only.
***Only candidates with a family sponsorship, currently residing in Qatar will be considered.***
Instructions to Apply:
Candidates must download the Doha College application form and submit the same through our website. The completed form will have to be uploaded as an attachment.
Doha College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening, including reference checks with previous employers and an enhanced criminal record check.