To facilitate the learning process by supporting staff and students in an effective learning environment. High standards of commitment to maintaining the area in terms of grounds-keeping is a requirement.
1. To provide direct support to teaching staff by maintaining and promoting lively working environment and practices.
2. To work with and ensure that staff and students have access to horticulture rooms, workshops, greenhouses, growing areas and equipment as required.
3. To prepare and assist in activities ensuring all materials and equipment are prepared in readiness for practical sessions and retrieved after the activity has ceased.
4. To maintain and repair specialist equipment and be responsible for the security of equipment and tools.
5. To assist with the supervision of students working on practical work and during their work placement on site and assisting the lecturers with the assessment of practical activities.
6. Contribute to internal verification and assessment procedures for horticulture courses.
7. Assist in the planning of crops and flowers at the two sites.
8. Maintain breeding nurseries, greenhouses, and arable land
9. To be responsible for the day to day care of all the plants within the Centre for Life Sciences.
10. To oversee the Horticulture Apprentices whilst working on site and designate the workload
11. Be responsible for ordering requisitions and storekeeping
12. To ensure that plant material required for classes is available with consultation with horticulture teachers
13. To operate equipment such as sprayers, rotavator,, seed cleaning equipment, seed counters, harvesters, irrigation equipment, pruning tools and tractors etc.
14. To assist in the planning of growing programmes both for sustainability and food sources.
15. To maintain all horticulture areas within Life Sciences to include the internal horticulture rooms
16. To assist with the maintenance with borders and ornamental plantings on both campuses
17. To ensure that accurate records of plants and materials are kept
18. Ensure continuous development and improvement of professional knowledge.
CLOSING DATE: 18th February 2018