The Upper School includes a Prep phase (Y6 - Y8) and Y9 - Y13. Throughout the Upper School there is a strong emphasis on academic excellence, preparation for top university entrance, leadership and personal development. Language and Learning is a focus at the school with many students speaking English as a second language. An ability to support language learning would be a significant advantage, although specialist support and training is provided to ensure that all staff becomes experts in EAL teaching techniques.
The Head of Drama will support the Director of Studies and Director of Performing Arts in promoting, evaluating, coordinating and developing the aims and standards of the School with particular focus on the Department. The Head of Drama is accountable for leading the development of curriculum and improved teaching practice in the department, and to contribute to the ongoing professional development of department teachers.
The Upper School team aims to deliver a stimulating and challenging curriculum and the most important part of the role is the classroom teaching and associated pastoral care of the students. In addition to this, the School’s emphasis on activities outside the classroom means that an effective and varied contribution to the extra-curricular programme is also required. There is a comprehensive program of enrichment activities and all students and staff are expected to be active members of the community.
The Head of Department will be offered three-year renewable contracts and a highly competitive compensation package, including on-site accommodation / equivalent housing allowance and full medical insurance for employees and their dependents.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in a similar role
- Qualified Teacher Status and evidence of appropriate subsequent in-service training.
- Experience of carrying out monitoring and evaluation of departmental colleagues, including appraisal.
- Understanding of the latest evidence and thinking regarding effective practice in History teaching and assessment and what this looks like in the classroom.
- Teaching experience in an International School
- An ability to think proactively, bring creative and strategic solutions to overcome barriers to delivery.
- Knowledge and understanding of positive disciplinary methods.
- Knowledge and understanding of child development and its impact on behavior.
Please download the attached job description for a full breakdown of the responsibilities and tasks associated with this role.
Please visit the Harrow Beijing careers portal to complete an online application.