'Staff are positive about the future of the school and agree with the changes. This is no small feat and is testament to the leadership' Ofsted 2018
Bexleyheath Academy is an 11-19 academy of 1600 students situated in the London borough of Bexley. We are within easy access of the Dartford crossing and Blackwall tunnel and only 30 minutes from central London on the train. We are an inclusive school at the heart of our community.
Since our last full inspection in May 2016 we have had a change in leadership and in January 2018 we welcomed our new Principal Dan Steel. Much hard work has already been undertaken including embedding a new curriculum, re-modelling pastoral structures and ensuring that all members of the academy community understand the vision of ‘making our best better’. We believe that whilst there remains much to do the academy is now well placed to quickly move towards our aim of being a 'good' school.
Morale is high and plans are in place for good and outstanding teaching and learning and positive attitudes to behaviour to become further embedded.
This role is not a typical Deputy Headteacher post. We are seeking to appoint a committed, driven and inspiring leader to become our sole Vice Principal. Someone who aspires to Headship within two to four years, who will have a broad portfolio and develop a deep understanding of every aspect of the academy’s development.
We are looking for someone who will work closely with the Principal and Executive Principal and directly with the team of committed Assistant Principals to ensure that quality assurance and accountability are common strands in all that we do. This is a key post for our school community as well as being a career defining opportunity for the successful candidate.
Our three main challenges moving forward are continuing to embed the highest expectations of all members of our learning community, delivering challenge and pace in the classroom and ensuring that all of our developmental work is underpinned by quality assurance with accountability. You will play a key role in this and will work closely with our talented and committed teams of leaders at middle and senior levels. Further specific accountabilities will be agreed with the successful candidate based upon their areas of expertise and development.
We are looking for:
- Experience of leadership in a whole school role either as an outstanding Assistant Headteacher or as a Deputy looking for their next career move
- Vision, drive and flare as you join our re-structured SLT
- The ability to consult on, devise, communicate, implement, monitor and evaluate school improvement with a relentless focus on student outcomes
- Relevant qualifications and a record of professional development (both formal and through appropriate experience) to meet the challenge of the job specifications
- A genuine commitment to making a positive contribution to the school and creating an ethos in which students feel secure and valued.
- A proven record of raising and maintaining standards in teaching and learning.
- An opportunity to join us as our permanent VP and be mentored to headship
- A commitment to further developing you as a future leader through access to the school network of our sponsor Academies Enterprise Trust.
- A commitment to facilitate your networking through Bexley Local Authority and lead on key aspects of this work across school.
- Purposeful and ready to learn students who will make you proud to be a teaching professional
- A mentorship programme to develop you as a future Principal/Headteacher
As the sponsor, AET believes that all young people deserve to become world-class learners – to learn, enjoy, succeed and thrive in a first rate educational environment with the best facilities, the best teaching and the most up-to-date resources available to them. In each of our academies, you will benefit from visionary, inspirational and dynamic leadership and be empowered to develop your own skills with access to world-class CPD and Talent Management programmes. You will also be entitled to the following benefits: a health cash plan, vehicle affinity scheme and childcare vouchers.
This position is required for an Easter 2018 start ideally.
Interviews will be held on Tuesday 27 February 2018
Closing date: 5pm Thursday 8 February 2018
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early should we receive an overwhelming response. All candidates are advised to refer to the job description and person specification before making an application.
Visits to the academy are encouraged and can be arranged by contacting Jo Grabowska, Recruitment Manager at Tes, on 020 3194 3085 or email@example.com
For an informal discussion or for an application form, please contact Jo Grabowska on the contact details above.
We are committed to safeguarding and protecting the welfare of children and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. A Disclosure and Barring Service Certificate will be required for all posts. This post will be subject to enhanced checks as part of our Prevent Duty.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin. Further details can be found on our careers page.