Head of Year
Competitive salary (above Inner London)
Required from September 2021
Do you want to be part of a team that transform the lives of young people?
As a new all-through school, Goresbrook School is attempting to do the seemingly impossible; ensure all young people, regardless of background, have the real option to succeed at a top university. Goresbrook School is an exciting new school that opened in 2016. Tenacious in approach, our team are committed to transforming the lives of students and do so through unwavering belief, positivity, creativity, hard work and collaboration. Many of us are TeachFirst Ambassadors but regardless of our how we came into the profession we are all determined to leave a lasting legacy.
Our vision is that “every student had the real option to succeed at a top university and the skills to excel in a career of their choice. Pupil’s led fulfilling, purposeful lives, rich with choice and altruism.” In order to make this a reality we are looking for a dedicated and driven Head of Year to help shape our young people into the leaders of the future. We have established a strong culture of high expectations, where our students are gracious, polite, and dedicated to their learning. Our ‘no excuses’ ethos has ensured a calm, purposeful and harmonious working environment. The challenge as we grow is to maintain these high standards and ensure that every student learns, and every teacher teaches, without disruption.
As a Head of Year at Goresbrook, you will be responsible for monitoring the academic progress and attainment of the year group in order to secure and sustain rapid progress for all groups of students. You will work with Subject Leads and pastoral coaches to identify, intervene and monitor key groups of students who require support to ensure they reach their potential. You will be instrumental is creating a culture of ambition, determination and altruism in our young people. Finally, you will be a highly skilled practitioner and an expert in your subject. The best pastoral care we can provide for our students leads to excellent academic outcomes and you will be able to model these outcomes through your day to day classroom practice.
If you are dedicated to ensuring the best possible outcomes for students, both academically and pastorally then we would love to work with you.
What we offer as a school:
- Clear purpose. We are all here to make a real difference to students lives
- Lots of opportunities to observe others and receive feedback. We have an open door policy and place Teaching and Learning at the centre of what we do. We never grade lessons and all feedback is developmental
- An environment in which student behaviour is exemplary. Teachers can teach and students can learn
- Curriculums that are designed in order for pupils to achieve mastery of both content and skills. We have a strong focus on core knowledge and use cutting-edge insights from cognitive science and educational research to ensure that content is retained over time
- Year groups of 120 students. We are a small school and pride ourselves on knowing our students
- Very minimum of two hours curriculum time for each subject area allowing teachers to know students next steps
- Weekly in-school CPD, including a tailored NQT programme
- External CPD programmes, including NPQML and NPQSL
- Opportunities for promotion and development
We currently have 600 students from year 7 to year 11 and we will continue to grow until we are at full capacity. Our Sixth Form opens in 2021. Whether you are an outstanding experienced teacher looking for a new challenge, or trainee teacher seeking your first role, you will play a key part in the School’s development. You could play a part in leading and shaping the vision and future of our school for many years to come.
If you align with our vision, values, and are committed to ensuring that ‘disadvantaged’ does not dictate educational outcomes, then you will greatly enjoy working at Goresbrook.
You are very welcome to visit us, even if you don���t end up applying for the post. We are 20 minutes on the tube from Mile End, and just 15 minutes’ drive from East London.
If you have any further questions about the school or the position please do not hesitate to contact Sirrela Dinesh, HR officer at email@example.com.
Closing date: 6th March 2021
United Learning is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS check is required for all successful applicants.
Barking and Dagenham
- Mainstream school with state - free school funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 18 years
Do you want to be part of a team that is creating a transformational all-through school? Do you believe that every young person has the potential to gain an A* at A-level, and go on to rigorous academic study in a highly competitive University? If so...