LWA Science Technician
Start Date: January 2018
Grade: B1 .13-.17 £16,491 - £17,772 pro rata
Leeds West Academy require two Science Technicians to join our busy Science department. One position will be 3 days per week (22.2 hours) term time only plus 10 days; the other position will be 5 days per week (37 hours) term time only plus 10 days.
Purpose of role: To contribute to key objectives of the Academy Development Plan, ‘Raising standards of achievement’ by; providing high quality technical support to staff and students within the Science area; preparation of apparatus/resources for practical lessons; maintenance of equipment; stock control; general administration tasks.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
· To assist in the co-ordination of the use and development of practical resources and facilities in meeting the practical requirements of the Science curriculum across Key Stages 3, 4 and 5 within the academy.
· Provide technical support for teaching staff and students in the Science area.
· Provide equipment and materials to support Science practical teaching: construct and modify apparatus where necessary; remove materials and equipment safely afterwards.
· To assist in the asset management of equipment and administration of the booking in/out system for equipment, including ‘fault reporting’ procedures.
· Be responsible for charging, distribution, and fault reporting for assets within accommodation used by Science.
· General administration tasks.
· Reprographics as required by the academy.
Ensure the maintenance of a healthy and safe working environment by:
· Taking an active role in the assessment, monitoring and review of Health and Safety procedures and information resources.
· Keeping up-to-date with current Health and Safety procedures and practices.
· The provision of technical advice on Health and Safety issues to teachers and other support staff.
· The safe treatment and disposal of used materials, including hazardous substances and responding to actual or potential hazards.
· The healthy and safe storage and accessibility of equipment and materials.
· Maintain and clean apparatus and laboratory equipment.
· Ensure that both routine and non-routine checking, cleaning, maintenance, calibration, testing and repairing of equipment are carried out to the required standard, specifying and installing additional equipment as necessary.
· Ensure the availability of suitable materials and equipment, helping compile orders and liaising or negotiating with suppliers. This will include sourcing, costing and suggesting economic alternatives to maintain stock levels.
· Maintain accurate up to date records of all equipment, chemicals and stock.
· Use ICT effectively to perform duties in an efficient manner and to support the use of ICT equipment within the Science faculty.
· Collection, issuing and cleaning away of equipment, apparatus and materials from storage and their organisation for class use.
· Any other duties as requested by the Director of Science.
Leeds West Academy is an over-subscribed 11-18 school. Thriving in a state of the art building with stunning views over the River Aire, our Academy is committed to delivering an outstanding education to each and every one of our students. We provide exceptional life training; harnessing the skills and fortifying the aspirations of young people, who we know will transform the region and provide a positive, progressive contribution to society. Our vision at Leeds West Academy is clear: we will be Ofsted rated as outstanding within three years.
The White Rose Academies Trust is a local trust dedicated to raising and fulfilling the ambitions of young people. Our academies throughout Leeds are at the heart of the communities they serve, which is why we are committed to delivering an outstanding education to every one of our students.
The Trust employs over 300 outstanding professionals who are committed to unlocking the potential of the next generation. Working in partnership with Gorse Academies Trust, we are on a significant journey which will see all of our schools Ofsted rated as outstanding within three years.
We are sponsored by Leeds City College, who provides expertise, international networks and highly desirable employability prospects within education and beyond.
Closing date: Monday 11 December 2017 at 12 noon
Shortlisting: Monday 11 December 2017
Interviews: Thursday 14 December 2017
Start date: January 2018
To apply visit http://www.leedswestacademy.org.uk/About-Us/Vacancies/ in order to download an application form. Once completed please email to firstname.lastname@example.org