Head of Arabic and Islamic Education
Department: Education - Central Office
Direct Reporting Line: Director of Education / CEO
The Head of Arabic and Islamic Education is a fundamental role within the education team supporting the group of Taaleem Schools. The function is to guide and lead the Principals and school based Arabic and Islamic departments towards achieving the goal of becoming Outstanding in the core subject areas of Arabic language for native and non native speakers, Islamic Education, UAE Culture and Social Studies. This position is responsible and accountable for the overall group-wide monitoring of student progress and attainment and quality of curriculum, teaching and learning through close collaboration with the school leaders and staff for Arabic and Islamic studies.
The Head of Arabic and Islamic Education reports to the Director of Education, and ensures the strategic plan for teacher and student performance delivers the targets for improved engagement and results. The role supports the Arabic and Islamic departments within Taaleem schools to design and implement a systematic and rigorous self-evaluation process, and devise and execute strategies for improvement in the required areas.
Key Relationships (Internal and External):
The Head of Arabic and Islamic Education will have excellent knowledge and understanding of the required standards of the Arabic language and Islamic and Social Studies curriculum. They will be at the forefront of academic changes, communicating these to school leaders and teaching staff. The postholder will act as the bridge between the Arabic and Islamic departments within Taaleem schools and the Education team in Central Office.
Assessment and development of Arabic and Islamic teaching staff within Taaleem schools to create a highly qualified and skilled team of teachers and leaders
- Establish targets for improvement with each school, team and individual staff member
- Coach, mentor, guide and lead the Arabic and Islamic teaching staff to continually improve upon standards within the curriculum areas
- Implement a shared service for the Principals of Taaleem schools, to ensure teaching for effective learning within the Arabic and Islamic curriculum is consistently delivered and embedded by providing feedback on areas where improvement is required
- Develop a high-quality self-evaluation system to ensure accurate assessment of current teaching practices and areas of potential improvement
- Identify high performing Arabic and Islamic teaching professionals, and those suitable for leadership opportunities
- Formulate and provide professional development programmes designed to support teachers and learning assistants with outstanding teaching for effective learning
- Monitor Arabic and Islamic lesson plans and unit planners ensuring Arabic and Islamic lessons promote the consistent development of students independent learning skills of critical thinking, inquiry and investigation.
- Maintain awareness of best practices, emerging research and new methods and products, critically review these developments for the suitability of enhancing student attainment, progress and skills.
Education: Bachelor's degree, teaching certification, educational leadership/management qualification or workshops / training
Experience: At least three to five years as a middle or senior school leader with focus on Teaching & Learning/ Pedagogy OR at least five years as Head of Arabic and/or Islamic Education or similar role at group level for an education provider.
Experience working with school inspections systems, international benchmark testing and either US, IB or UK curriculum. Previous experience as a school inspectoror/ accreditor/ evaluator for a recognised organisation would be advantageous.
Proven knowledge and understanding of effective teaching and engaging methods which will inspire students to study classical Arabic language, Islam, and cultural studies.
Experience of developing a high performing team, achievement of targets, and delivery of results
Knowledge of child protection and safe guarding
High level of emotional intelligence
Exceptional interpersonal skills, experience leading and inspiring teams to over-achieve.
Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal in both Arabic and English
Solutions focused attitude