Discovery College Website: www.discovery.edu.hk
Discovery College is searching for an experienced educator to fill the position of Learning Diversity Teacher.
The main role of the Learning Diversity Team (LDT) teacher is to support identified students in the areas of Special Education Needs (SEN), English as an Additional Language (EAL) and Gifted and Talented (G&T) in achieving the best possible learning outcomes. LDT teachers work in collaboration with subject specialist teachers to improve the learning outcomes of these students. This occurs through collaborative planning, preparation of resources, sharing of strategies, parallel teaching of students in small group settings and/or co-teaching in classes. For the position being advertised, it would be advantageous to have experience in supporting students in middle to lower Primary (Year 1-4).
Teaching and Assessment
- Plan lessons and sequences of lessons to meet student’s individual learning needs and to ensure student progression based on an inclusive model that discourages withdrawal
- Create appropriate resources that will scaffold student learning
- Use a range of appropriate strategies for teaching and learning and classroom management
- Embed Assessment for Learning practices into daily practice to support students’ learning
- Use flexible groupings and structured inquiry to deliver high quality lessons in line with the IBO philosophy
- Use, identify, administer, and analyse information from, appropriate diagnostic tools to identify students’ needs and set targets for improvement
- Maintain SEN/EAL and G&T registers and share information related to these students with appropriate stakeholders
Wider professional roles
- Plan and engage in professional learning activities related to the LDT that support school and systematic priorities
- Share good practice, reflect on and develop your own practice, and contribute to the development of others
- Making an active contribution to the policies and aspirations of the school
- Collaborating with members of the school community to build a team environment that supports students’ learning
Additional responsibilities may include
- Leading the development of curriculum policies in one of the following areas; SEN, G&T, EAL, and Mother Tongue within the team
- Supervising a range of student activities including support and welfare programmes
- Supervising an educational assistant in the delivery of in-class support
Typical reporting relationship
Head of Learning Diversity Team
Development / Training to support core competencies
Development activities and relevant courses to be negotiated as part of the performance management process
Minimum Typical Education
Bachelor Degree in Education, or Bachelor Degree in any subjects with PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate of Education), or equivalent
Minimum Typical Experience
An understanding of the IB and the key underpinnings of the curriculum frameworks is essential
All teachers are expected to:
- Contribute to the school extra curricular programme throughout the year
- Participate in key school and PTA events on identified evenings and weekends
- Contribute to the Education Outside the Classroom Programme, including by leading residential excursions in urban or rural locations, in Hong Kong or overseas, as required
For enquiries, please contact Joyce Kwok at email@example.com.
Teaching in Hong Kong
Hong Kong is a premier destination for expatriate and local teacher. ESF Teachers enjoy a lucrative salary package and a high standard of living overall, in an exciting and vibrant world city. The teaching profession is highly respected, student motivation and outcomes are excellent, and all teachers receive considerable support from ESF with settling into Hong Kong, as well as with their professional development. Please feel free to contact us in advance about life in Hong Kong if you feel a conversation on this topic would be helpful.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and offers may be extended prior to the job closing date.
By applying for this position, your application may be considered for other opportunities within ESF.
ESF is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Personal data provided by job applicants will be used strictly in accordance with the ESF's Personal Data Policy, a copy of which will be provided upon request
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a high standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.
The English Schools Foundation (ESF) is the largest English-medium international school organisation in Hong Kong. Our 22 schools and comprehensive programme of extra-curricular activities bring out the best in every student through a personalised approach to learning and by inspiring curious minds.
There are over 18,000 students from 75 different nationalities in ESF kindergartens, primary, secondary and all-through schools. About 70% of our students have parents who are permanent residents of Hong Kong.
ESF is proud of the high academic and wider achievements of our students. In 2020, 22 ESF students achieved the perfect score of 45 points in the IB Diploma examinations; more than 95% go on to leading universities worldwide.
About the Team
Grow. Discover. Dream. This vision statement, created by the College community when the school was founded in 2007, recognizes Discovery College’s belief that students should be independent, critical and creative thinkers equipped with the skills, attitudes and values to contribute positively in this complex world in which we live.
The College strongly supports all subject areas with a robust academic curriculum, including the performing and creative arts, design and ICT. Technology is embedded across the curriculum, supported by a number of digital literacy staff and a 1:1 laptop programme from Year 6 onwards.
The College’s facilities are second to none, with an award-winning design that incorporates an exceptional performing arts centre, gymnasium spaces, 25m rooftop heated swimming pool, library, science labs and design technology rooms.
Discovery College - ESF
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 5 - 18 years
Grow. Discover. Dream. This vision statement, created by the College community when the school was founded in 2007, recognizes Discovery College’s belief that students should be independent, critical and creative thinkers equipped with the skills, at...