ACADEMIC MENTOR (ENGLISH) – FIXED TERM FOR 1 YEAR
Pay Range: Local Government Scale 3, Point 4
Actual Salary from: £14,193
Start Date: As soon as possible
We are seeking to appoint an Academic Mentor/Graduate with English Speciality to provide directed classroom support within the English faculty and across the school where literacy support is needed.
This post is 32.5 hours per week, 39 weeks per year – Term time (38 weeks) plus 1 week non-pupil days. This is a fixed time post for 1 year.
The daily working hours will be 09.00am-16.00pm Monday to Friday.
- To support students in English across the ability range including high ability students and those with a special educational need, and to ensure the safety and well-being of students at all times
- To work closely with students in English lessons and in small groups to support and challenge them to make great progress
- To work closely with teachers to support students to develop confidence in their literacy knowledge and skills
- Inspire trust and confidence in all stakeholders and colleagues.
- Use the performance management process to enhance personal professional practice in line with the school's aspirations and priorities.
- Promote the wider aspirations and values of the school.
- Recognise the importance of confidentiality and uphold the requirements of the new GDPR legislation.
- To be an effective communicator with all stakeholders, visitors and external professional colleagues as required.
- To be fully aware of the particular difficulties of individual pupils by referring to records and discussion with SENDCo and/or subject leaders.
- To assist in the preparation of teaching resources for subject areas, in particular to assist with preparation of materials to the needs of individuals or groups of children.
- To undertake intervention work on a 1:1 or small group basis
- To undertake mentoring on a 1:1 or small group basis
- Demonstrate a commitment to keeping children and young people safe
- Report any disclosure made to you to the appropriate person
- Report any safeguarding concerns in the workplace to the appropriate person
- Maintain an awareness of the Trust policies in relation to safeguarding
The Sigma Trust is committed to safeguarding and protecting the children and young people that we work with. As such, all posts are subject to safer recruitment process, including the disclosure of criminal records and vetting checks. We ensure that we have a range of policies in place which promote safeguarding and safer working practice across our schools.
- To participate in the performance and development review process, taking personal responsibility for identification of learning, development and training opportunities in discussion with line manager
- To comply with individual responsibilities, in accordance with the role, for health & safety in the workplace
- Ensure all duties and services provided are in accordance with the trust’s Equal Opportunities Policy
We're looking for you if you:
- Have an English or relevant degree
- Have an excellent level of literacy
- Have good ICT skills and ability to use ICT to enhance learning
- Can work constructively as part of a team, understanding organisational
- Are able to exchange verbal information clearly and sensitively with children and adults
- Have the ability to establish rapport and respectful and trusting relationships with children
- Have excellent organisational and time management skills
(The full details can be found in the attached Job Outline and Person Specification).
Why work for The Sigma Trust, Paxman Academy?
We Can Offer You:
- A Competitive Salary
- Robust school CPD training programme that enables you to flourish
- Opportunities to work with colleagues across the Trust to share resources, ideas and build collaborative relationships
- Employee Benefits: Employee Assistance Programme, Pension Scheme, Cycle to Work Scheme and Discounted Gym Membership at selected local gyms
For additional information about the Trust and this school, please visit our website www.sigmatrust.org.uk
To apply for this post, please complete an application form, available from The Sigma Trust/this website and return it to email@example.com quoting reference 815. Please read the Notes for Applicants document attached.
Closing date: Midnight, Monday 6th December 2021
Information about the School:
Paxman Academy opened in September 2019 and admitted 180 Year 7 students in the first year.
Paxman Academy is committed to providing an ordered, stimulating learning environment in which all students are encouraged to achieve their best. It is determined that all students should be valued through the provision of a broad, relevant, balanced and challenging curriculum that caters for individual needs; this is encouraged within an atmosphere of mutual respect. The Academy recognises its role within the broader community. It is determined to maintain a STEM focus throughout the curriculum and across extended learning opportunities. It identifies learning as a lifelong process and values the contribution made by parents and others to the creation of a partnership. Within this partnership, and through learning opportunities provided, students will develop skills, attitudes and values that prepare them to accept the challenges and responsibilities of adult life.
Paxman Academy embraces the values of The Sigma Trust to ensure that all students will fulfil their potential and transform life chances for all.
Paxman Academy is a newly built, co-educational, fully comprehensive 11-16 academy, which opened its doors in September 2019. In its first two years of opening, the Academy has been a popular choice and is heavily oversubscribed.
The Academy enjoys s...