Acorn Care and Education
Acorn Care and Education is a leading provider of specialist living and learning services for vulnerable children and young people and offers great opportunities for those who want to develop their career in this area.
We specialise in working with children and young people who have complex needs. Their needs may be behavioural, emotional, social, learning, physical or a combination. We build care around the unique situation and individual circumstances of each child by providing frontline fostering, educational and care services.
To proactively manage the admissions and referrals for Longdon Park, Longdon Hall and The Wenlock School (due to open September 2018).
- Act as the first point of contact for all Local Authority communications for the Midlands schools and oversee the referrals process from referral through to conversion, with the aim of achieving 100% occupancy whilst remaining sensitive to the operational needs of each school
- To be responsible for each Local Authority / Parent referral maintaining an overview of all aspects of each case, liaise regularly with the Principal/Headteacher
- To respond promptly to LA, Framework and Parental enquiries and ensure HT’s are kept informed
- To review and standardise referral documentation that ensures appropriate records are maintained e.g. gathering potential missing information, generating baseline data, evaluating the ability to meet need and if the School cannot meet need or place consider alternative Acorn Schools or provide advice to the LA
- To be responsible for maintaining accurate quality records on all stages of the referral process through effective use of ‘double first’.
- To facilitate and on occasions lead in the assessment of students. This may involve travel to the parents or relatives home or current educational establishment.
- To manage the communication and to develop a good working relationship with key Local Authority personnel involved in the referral process.
- To support the Principal/Headteacher with their Local Authority liaison activities, arranging and attending meetings as required
- To organise and attend regular LA meetings
- To be involved in preparation work for Midlands SEN tenders
- To ensure Schools admission registers are accurately maintained
- Comply with Acorn Care and Education’s commitment to the Safeguarding of the vulnerable young people in our care
Personal Specification – Skills and Competencies
- Experience of working within an educational setting
- Experience of working with Local Authorities to plan and manage referrals into schools
- Strong project management skills. Including liaising with statutory authorities.
- Good inter-personal skills to maintain good relationships with the local community, statutory authorities, contractors and staff.
- Driving Licence
- Competent in the use of MS Office including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Able to plan and work on own initiative
- Must be honest, trustworthy and reliable
- Able to satisfy DBS check that there are no impediments to working with children
- Empathy with young people particularly those with additional special needs
- Seeks opportunities for personal development
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines
Acorn Care and Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the children and young people in our care. Successful applicants will be subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service check.