Apprentice Mechatronics Technician - Maintenance
Start: SEPTEMBER 2021
Hours: Monday to Thursday 8:20am – 5:10pm and Friday 8:20am to 4:10pm
Salary: Apprentice Scale
Reports to: Assistant Principal, Faculty Lead Engineering and Science
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an Apprentice Workshop Technician to join the Engineering team at Elutec.
Elutec Academy (the University Technical College for East London) aims to be one of the leading STEM UTC in the UK. Elutec Academy is housed in an impressive new building in Barking and Dagenham, surrounded by a Business and Science Park which is soon to be joined by an exciting new film studio complex. The school has excellent transport links, with Dagenham East tube station a short walk away.
The school’s exceptional sponsors include Ford Motor Company, one of the world's foremost design, engineering and manufacturing enterprises and the Faculty of Engineering at University College London (UCL), ranked as one of the top 20 “super-elite” universities in the world.
We are looking for someone who wishes to train and learn as part of the team at Elutec Academy team to support the department to deliver an exciting and engaging curriculum for our students, alongside on and off site training to gain your qualifications.
To train as a mechanical engineering apprentice technician, to undertake a structured training program of academic study and workshop work in order to gain the required skills and knowledge to support the engineering requirements of the UTC Engineering department.
Qualifications and experience:
• A minimum of 5 relevant level 2 qualifications including Maths, Science & English. An engineering qualification would be desirable.
• Understanding and experience of engineering workshops.
• Ability to organise and prioritise own workload whilst working alone or as part of a team.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills when dealing with students, staff and visitors.
• Excellent health and attendance record.
- Observing, learning and understanding a wide range of engineering skills and processes while under the instruction of skilled technical staff
- To be able to demonstrate these skills and processes as the training period progresses by working independently or with a team, to undertake tasks as instructed and increasing overall contribution to the department
- To undertake and successfully complete suitable college courses throughout the training period, achieving the academic grades and practical skills in order to entitle yearly progress leading to the award of a suitable level 3 qualification
- Learning and understanding the importance of Health & Safety within the workspace and the UTC
- To develop skills to construct or modify apparatus and instruments from verbal instructions and drawings, for research, teaching and student projects, to a high degree of precision
- To learn how to maintain workshop equipment and to keep it in good repair
- To maintain a log book over the duration of the apprenticeship period, recording projects that have been undertaken and the skills learned
- To maintain and to ensure general good housekeeping of the workplace and workshop areas
- To maintain a smart appearance and to act in a professional manner at all times
- To perform any other duties appropriate to the grade and role of the post holder
How to apply:
Please return your completed application form by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
CVs will not be accepted.
Confirmation of appointment is conditional upon a satisfactory enhanced DBS check and medical health check.
Confirmation of appointment is also subject to the receipt of two satisfactory references.
Apprentice Scale (depending on skills and experience)
Elutec is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Commencement: SEPTEMBER 2021
Closing date for applications: 25th February 2021
If you would like to have an informal discussion about the post, in the first instance please contact Gillian Howard: email@example.com
Barking and Dagenham
- Mainstream school with state - university technical college (utc) funding
- Secondary with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 14 - 19 years