Does your experience show your understanding of children with ASD and how they learn and experience the world? Could you share this effectively with school staff, families and students with ASD to help meet the needs of the students?
Welling School is a great place to work, with a welcoming community of students and adults and a determined vision for the future. We are vibrant, 11-18 mixed Academy with a Visual Arts Specialism. We need specialist support staff who will inspire our students to achieve their absolute best and build upon their abilities, and embrace both implementation, challenge and change in this newly developing resource. Your ideas, energy and enthusiasm will make the difference that we are looking for.
A Unique Opportunity
We are seeking a specialist support assistant to take on this exciting role within our developing ASD resource provision. You will work one-to-one with students and with small groups, you will work closely with parents/carers under the direction of the Teacher in Charge of ASD to develop their understanding of this complex condition within a secondary school setting.
This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and committed person to extend and develop their expertise in this capacity.
We are looking for someone with:
- In-depth knowledge of the needs of students with ASD
- Understanding and creativity in enabling those students to enjoy learning and to achieve their full potential
- Ability to communicate effectively with others to ensure the needs of the students are understood
- Respects and takes account of the views and aspirations of students and their families
- Embraces the challenge of catering for children with social disabilities
- Understands and supports all behaviour and is able to provide learners with strategies to regulate their emotions
- Is a flexible and motivated person, creative in their approach to problem-solving
- Is able to work constructively in partnership with a range of external professionals and colleagues
- Be an effective and committed team player with a clear vision for development and sustained improvement
- A good standard of education and experience of working with students with ASD in an education setting is a must
We can offer you:
- A range of well-equipped facilities and outdoor spaces for students and staff, across the school
- Career opportunities and a commitment to ongoing professional development
- The opportunity to play a pivotal role in the development of the provision at our thriving school
- A diverse and vibrant community
- A strong, well led and fully supportive leadership team
For the Job Description and Person Specification, please download them below or contact Ms N Whitelock, HR Manager (email@example.com). Visits to the school are encouraged.
We welcome applications regardless of age, gender, ethnicity or religion. The school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our students and we expect all applicants to share this commitment. Appointments will be subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure and past employment checks.
This post is considered to be a customer-facing position; as such it falls within scope of the Code of Practice on English language requirement for public sector workers. The school therefore has a statutory duty under Part 7 of the Immigration Act 2016 to ensure that post holders have a command of spoken English sufficient for the effective performance of the job requirements. The appropriate standards are set out in the person specification. These will be applied during the recruitment/selection and probationary stages.