Up to 37 Hours per week 52 weeks per year
Includes early starts/late finishes with some out of hours and weekend work
The College is looking to appoint an Assistant Caretaker (32 – 37 hours per week) to join our Premises Team. The successful candidate will be organised and flexible in their work, able to work alone or within a team and with proven general maintenance and DIY skills. We require someone who is energetic, enthusiastic, reliable and dependable with an adaptable attitude to their work. Previous experience of a similar role would be an advantage although not essential. The successful candidate will be part of a small team and may be required to works same early or late shifts.
Purpose of the Post
Working under the immediate direction of the College Keeper and Premises Director to provide and efficient and effective caretaking service
Duties and Responsibilitie
1. As directed, to be responsible for carrying out security procedures for College buildings and grounds and the safeguarding of the contents. This includes locking and unlocking duties, opening and closing of College premises and grounds.
2. To be involved in ensuring adequate lighting and heating of the premises and where necessary report faults to the College Caretaker and Premises Department.
3. To actively patrol College premises, carrying out security procedures for buildings and grounds to prevent trespass.
4. To meet reasonable needs and requests of all users and tenants of the building as is practicable and at all times adopt a courteous, responsive, flexible and tactful manner. To liaise as necessary with all staff and contractors and to maintain good working relationships.
5. To carry out cleaning duties, both internal and external when requested and to undertake other specific duties arising from the use of the premises and specific to the caretaking and cleaning needs of the College.
6. To prepare for College activities and the subsequent clearing and cleaning up after these activities.
7. To take delivery of stores, materials and other goods, following ‘goods in’ procedures and conveying items to necessary points of distribution around the College site. General porterage duties and delivery/collection of examination parcels as required.
8. To be in attendance during letting periods in accordance with the caretaker’s rota system and at any other period as far as practicable as requested by Senior Managers, and service the Letting in the prescribed manner according to the College Letting Policy.
9. To monitor and assist in the promotion and implementation of the College recycling policy including liaison with staff and contractors.
10. Assistance with supervision of car parking duties during College lettings.
11. Undertake a range of specialist cleaning and ground maintenance tasks as requested, some of which may require formal training on towers/scaffolding, e.g. top of light fittings and other areas higher than 2m.
12. In the College Keepers’ absence plan the work allocated and prioritise within the hours allocated.
13. Liaise with contractors working on the College site directing and supervising their presence and inspecting the work where there is a requirement to sign a completion certificate.
14. To assist the Reprographics and IT Departments with the provision of paper and toner to photocopiers/printers within the campus and to clear paper jams as required. To assist Reprographics and IT Department as necessary with the porterage of materials.
15. Maintain effective communication within Premises to ensure availability and rapid response to urgent situations.
16. To undertake other duties as may from time to time be required by the Principal or his designated
senior manager, commensurate with the post
Special conditions/Points to note
- This role involves some Saturday and Sunday working in order to facilitate external lettings. When not required on a weekend the post holder’s contracted hours will be re-allocated to be worked during the standard working week (subject to mutual agreement)
- The above are the main areas of responsibility and are not intended to be a comprehensive list of all administrative duties which are seen as part of the post
- The purpose of the job description is to indicate the general level of duties and responsibility of the post. The detailed duties may vary from time to time without changing the general character or level of responsibility entailed
- All duties must be carried out in accordance with relevant Health and Safety legislation and good practice
- The college is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of Children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment.
Responsible to: College Keeper
Director of Premises
Further details about the College are also available on the College website: www.colchsfc.ac.uk
To apply for this post a College application form must be completed (unaccompanied CV’s will not be accepted). Application forms are available from the job vacancies section of the College website and once completed should be submitted by e-mail to the Human Resources Department at email@example.com or if sent by mail please address to:-
Human Resources Department
The Sixth Form College, Colchester
Essex CO1 1SN
Closing Date: 12 noon Friday 22nd September 2017