Are you an innovative leader with an outstanding record in delivering support Education Services?
With a track record of excellence, our ambition is to establish a reputation for Thurrock as a small borough that provides a first class education for every learner. As a minimum we will make sure that every child or young person can attend a good or outstanding school by December 2018 and that we further improve standards at every Key Stage to be well above national averages. Currently 96% of our schools and academies are good or better.
As the Assistant Director for Education and Skills, you will have responsibility for key areas in Children’s Services including School Improvement, SEND, Inclusion, the Virtual School for Children Looked After and Education Welfare Services.
As an inspirational communicator, networker and achiever with a strong education background, you will provide a strategic focus on attainment and progress and possess the initiative to achieve and sustain excellence through innovation and tenacity. We want to use your significant aptitude for managing change, leading and inspiring others to build on previous successes and address remaining challenges; making a real difference for our children and young people.
Our vision is that Thurrock Council will be a place where:
- All children and young people find their talents and experience good and inspirational teaching every day in a climate that expects the highest standards
- The gap is closed between the achievement of children and young people from low income families and children looked after and all children and young people nationally
- Young people achieve the best qualifications possible, particularly in the globally important subjects of English, mathematics, science and technology, engineering and modern foreign languages making up EBacc, so that they can compete for the best jobs, best university places and high level apprenticeships
- Children are well supported from early years and throughout their childhood and adolescence by strong families and communities to allow them the opportunity to learn and grow up to have high expectations of themselves and their schools, and the optimism, confidence and resilience to succeed
- Young people are well prepared for life and work in an increasingly complex world and globally competitive economy.
In return we offer a competitive salary and benefits including:
- Excellent Pension Scheme with LGPS
- Generous annual leave entitlement – 25 days rising to 30 after 5 years’ service
- Flexible working to enable work life balanceRelocation packages
- Excellent training opportunities and an established CPD programme
To apply, please submit a CV and a cover letter detailing how your skills and experience match the Job Profile and Person Specification.
For an informal and confidential discussion, please call Rory Patterson, Corporate Director of Children’s Services - Tel. 01375 652664
Our vision – an ambitious and collaborative community which is proud of its heritage and excited by its diverse opportunities and future.
Here at Thurrock council we are striving to unlock sustainable growth, and lay the foundations for future growth and prosperity of the area. Situated on the north side of the River Thames bordering Essex, Kent and East London, Thurrock is an area of great contrast, with a well-balanced mixture of beauty and business. We are determined to improve Thurrock as a place, ensuring we are providing the best services for the people of Thurrock whilst offering the opportunity of prosperity.
Thurrock council is bucking the trend seen across most local authorities, we have a forecast balanced budget to 2021/22 which will provide the council with unique opportunities to change how we do things and improve the offer to our residents and businesses. Our aim is to create a place where people and businesses want to stay and thrive, and developers and investors want to invest.
We have an exciting and ambitious agenda to deliver here at Thurrock council with £20billion of new investment planned for homes, jobs and infrastructure including £6billion being invested in private sector jobs; 24,500 new jobs planned over the next 20 years - working towards a future where every resident has a good job and £100million new investment in our schools – to ensure our education offer is first class, whilst building upon 97% of our primary schools being “good” or better.
Thurrock is a diverse place, known not only for its ports and logistics centres but home of the Royal Opera House and the expanding intu Lakeside Shopping Centre. Thurrock’s heritage, wildlife sites and breath-taking countryside offer the best of both being perfectly positioned just 35 minutes from central London.
Thurrock Council is an Investors in People (IIP) Gold accredited employer and committed to equal opportunities. We champion flexible working and job share applications are welcome.
We serve a diverse community where people are different yet equal. Diversity underpins everything we do.
If you want to be part of an ambitious, exciting yet challenging council, where you can really make a difference join #TeamThurrock now!
How to Apply:
Please apply online by clicking Apply. If you have any difficulties in submitting an application form please email firstname.lastname@example.org.