Academy: Leeds East Academy
Job Title: Assistant Head of Mathematics
Grade: MPS / UPS + TLR 2b
Accountable to: Head of Maths
Leeds East Academy is a diverse and vibrant school community which has recently been judged as ‘Good’ across all areas of the Ofsted framework. In the Ofsted report inspectors commented; 'Leaders' aspirations for the school are high. They are determined that all of their pupils, regardless of background, will achieve as highly as possible. Leaders have created an ambitious and optimistic culture across the school'. The school has been on a rapid journey of improvement securing a Progress 8 score in 2018 in line with the national average. Housed within a state-of-the-art school building, Leeds East Academy is now the premier choice of school for families in the local area. Leeds East Academy is also a highly desirable and dynamic establishment for ambitious education professionals, who will be joining a forward thinking organisation committed to securing the highest educational, professional and personal standards for the community we serve.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and ambitious Assistant Head of Mathematics to join our passionate team. We are committed to ensuring all students continue to achieve beyond their potential. This is an incredibly exciting opportunity to support in leading a department dedicated to improving outcomes, aspirations and life chances of young people.
The Mathematics Team at Leeds East Academy has a wide range of experience and skills. The department works collaboratively to develop both learning experiences and professional growth. Staff at all levels feel well developed by both our departmental and whole school CPD programmes.
At Leeds East Academy we are committed to ensuring success for all by improving every student’s resilience, understanding and confidence in Mathematics. From year 7, students follow a mastery curriculum; developing fluency and problem solving using mathematical reasoning to strengthen conceptual understanding. The average class size is 20 studentswhich supports our commitment to personalised learning. All classrooms have interactive whiteboards and we use Hegarty Maths to support independent learning.
Assistant Head in Department: Roles & Responsibilities
· The planning and delivery of all subject CPD
· Identifying areas for development in subject knowledge
· Supporting the management of the KS3 curriculum
· Supporting the management of the KS4 curriculum
· Support the Head of Department with database management to include data tracking and data conversations prior to data collection and QA of strategies deployed
· Assist with Mathematics quality assurance including learning walks, work scrutiny wave 1 coaching, student voice
· Oversee and manage cover work in mathematics
· Supporting members of the department
· Inducting new staff
· Develop numeracy across the curriculum with the Head of Maths
· Other areas directed by Head of Maths and Senior Leadership Team
Classroom Teachers - Expectations of all Academy staff:
· Teach across the age range of KS3 and KS4 to all abilities
· Ensure teaching and learning in the classroom maximises the potential of all students
· To be accountable for the progress of pupils taught as a subject teacher.
· Contribute to the development and delivery of an innovative and engaging Mathematics curriculum
· Be dedicated to personal continued professional development
· To share and support the school’s responsibility to provide opportunities for personal and academic growth.
Part of The White Rose Academies Trust - the most rapidly improved family of schools in the region - Leeds East Academy is accelerating on a thrilling journey, which will ultimately see the school, its staff and its students, secure an Ofsted rating of world class.
We're securing our vision for World Class by growing our family of exceptional education professionals; dedicated specialists and passionate leaders with the shared goal of transforming future prospects for the next generation in West Yorkshire.
We provide exceptional life training; harnessing the skills and fortifying the aspirations of young people, who we know will transform the region and provide a positive, progressive contribution to society.
The White Rose Academies Trust is a local Trust dedicated to raising and fulfilling the ambitions of young people. Our academies throughout Leeds are at the heart of the communities they serve, which is why we are committed to delivering an outstanding education to every one of our students.
The Trust employs almost 400 outstanding professionals who are committed to unlocking the potential of the next generation.
We benefit hugely from our sponsor, Leeds City College which, along with the White Rose Academies Trust, is part of the Luminate Education Group. Other members of the group include Leeds College of Music, Keighley College and Harrogate College. Our sponsor provides leadership and operational support and advice to all our academies. They also share our vision of creating a truly outstanding Trust.
Closing Date: 24th February 2020 – 9.00 am
Shortlisting: W/C 24th February 2020
Interview Date: 26th February 2020
Start Date: April 2020
For more information, please visit our website at www.leedseastacademy.org.uk . To apply, please complete the application form and return to email@example.com by the closing date of Monday 24th February – 9.00 am. Please note we are unable to accept CV’s.
The White Rose Academies Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students and expects all staff and volunteers to share the commitment. Appointments will be subject to Safer Recruitment Procedures and a DBS check.
PLEASE NOTE THE REQUIREMENT TO ATTACH YOUR APPLICATION FORM AS A SEPARATE DOCUMENT TO YOUR EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES FORM WHEN EMAILING YOUR APPLICATION TO US.