As an Assistant Principal within the Harris Federation, you will have a wealth of opportunities to develop as a senior leader. Succession planning is a key part of our success as a Federation, and we believe that we are at the forefront of developing the next generation of Leaders. We can help prepare you for your next Senior Leadership challenge, investing in your knowledge and expertise through regular support, coaching and a wide range of professional development and training. We can offer you a range of bespoke courses and qualifications through our Teaching School, including our Aspiring Leaders NPQ programmes.
The successful post holder will share responsibility for all the policies, decision making processes and strategic planning involved in the management of the Academy; and will lead the development of the Academy as a learning, researching and self-evaluating organisation. We are looking for a talented English practitioner who will:
- Lead on the development of the English faculty and the key role that this department plays in the Academy as a whole.
- Work with the Executive Principal and Head of Academy to establish a system of self-evaluation and review within the academy that will secure outstanding student achievement through the professional success of all staff. This will be supported by rigorous systems for monitoring, evaluation and review.
- Support middle leaders and other relevant staff as the SMT link as directed by the Executive Principal / Head of Academy.
In line with the Government’s announcement, our academy is closed until further notice. However, during this period it is our intention to continue with critical recruitment for key positions starting in September 2020. In place of academy interviews, alternative options will be offered so that no one is at a disadvantage, and applicants should expect telephone or virtual interviews, with the possibility of onsite academy interviews only in special cases. We want to reassure applicants that effective measures have been implemented to ensure their health and wellbeing whilst on academy premises.
Thank you for your cooperation during this difficult time.
What we are looking for
In choosing an Assistant Principal to lead the English faculty, we will be looking for someone who:
- Holds QTS (or equivalent) and an undergraduate degree;
- Is an excellent practitioner with a proven track record teaching English
- Is able to model and disseminate high quality teaching and learning;
- Has high expectations of staff and pupils as well as themselves;
- Is committed to achieving the best outcomes for all pupils;
- Is innovative, highly motivated and eager to take a lead;
- Is committed to on-going professional development;
- Is willing to contribute to the wider life at the academy;
- Has strong interpersonal skills
About Harris Academy Chafford Hundred:
Harris Academy Chafford Hundred is an Ofsted ‘Outstanding’ 11-19 academy with a very strong reputation in the local community. With values of ‘Excel, Exceed and Explore’, the academy is a school for the future, preparing students for success through personalised learning, and improving continuously in every aspect of delivery.
Why work at Harris Academy Chafford Hundred?
- The number one non-selective school in Essex, according to the Real Schools Guide 2017
- A diverse and vibrant student population serving one of the fastest
- One of only six designated Teaching Hubs nationally, providing exceptional opportunities for professional development
- A proven commitment to our staff, holding Investors In People Gold accreditation
- A modern and attractive working environment
- A two week October half term
- All the advantages of a successful academy group, including a strong central team of support, teaching and leadership staff
- Excellent transport links to London and the surrounding areas, both by road and rail
- Generous Harris rewards and benefits package
Please download the job pack for a full job description and person specification.
Please call 01375 484 580 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a time to for an informal conversation with the Principal.
In line with the Government’s announcement, our academy is closed until further notice. However, during this period it is our intention to continue with critical recruitment for key positions starting in September 2020. Where we are unable to conduct interviews on academy premises, alternative options will be offered so that no one is at a disadvantage, and applicants should expect telephone or virtual interviews. We want to reassure applicants that effective measures have been implemented to ensure their health and wellbeing whilst on academy premises. Thank you for your cooperation during this difficult time.
Apply online and submit your application before the closing deadline.
As part of the Harris Federation, we can offer you a range of benefits, including:
- A network of fellow senior leaders and Principals with a wealth of knowledge and expertise
- Support and mentoring from some of the best executive leaders in education
- Unrivalled opportunities for leadership progression and preparing you for your first Principalship
- Pension scheme (TPS) and access to our Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan, covering a range of health and wellbeing benefits
- Plus, the opportunity to work with our amazing students!
Click here for a full list of Harris benefits.
The Harris Federation
The Harris Federation is the leading large Multi Academy Trust in the country for both primary and secondary education. We have an established reputation in transforming education in London and an unrivalled track record in achieving success through rapid school improvement. Harris is a Federation and not a chain; each academy is different, reflecting the particular aspirations and leadership style of its Principal. Our vision is that Harris academies work collaboratively in sharing school improvement strategies, and support one another as part of the wider Harris Federation.
We look for talented leaders who want to help transform education in London, and create exceptional places of learning.
Please note: academies may hold interviews as and when applications are received, and this job may be withdrawn at any point without notice. You will still be able to add information until the closing date, but you will not be able to submit your application. With this in mind, you are encouraged to apply as early as possible.
Harris academies are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. In line with our commitments to safeguarding, the Harris Federation uses preferred agencies and is unable to work with any agencies where Terms of Business have not been agreed by both parties prior to an engagement. Harris Federation is fully committed to equality and to valuing diversity as an employer and a provider of education. Click here to view our full equality and diversity statement.