Qatar Foundation continues to grow and we are looking for outstanding educators to join our team. The Foundation focusses on education, science and research, and community development, and we need the best people to help us achieve our ambitious goals. If you smile when you think about children; when you’re talking to parents; when you’re discussing new ideas in education; when you’re removing barriers to learning, you may be the person we’re looking for.
The Foundation’s work in the field of education has brought prestigious, international universities to Qatar to help develop an education sector in which young people can acquire the attitudes and skills needed to build a knowledge economy. Its main science and research agenda is to build Qatar's innovation and technology capacity by developing and commercializing solutions through key sciences. Its community development programs aim to help foster a progressive society, while also enhancing the cultural landscape, protecting Qatar's heritage and addressing immediate social needs in the community.
In pursuit of excellence in education, Qatar Foundation Schools is seeking an exceptional educational leader to serve as the next Secondary School Assistant Principal of Awsaj Academy, and effective August 1, 2019. The Secondary School Assistant Principal is responsible for assigned aspects of the grade 6 – 12 program. A detailed description of the position including qualifications, attributes and responsibilities is included at the end of this document. Qatar Foundation offers highly competitive packages that make it one of the top employers in Qatar and throughout the Region.
Awsaj Academy is a specialist school for, currently 484 children, who have diverse learning needs and challenges from Kindergarten to Grade 12. The majority of our students have mild to moderate learning needs, and a number of students who have a clearly defined medical diagnosis and may present more complex learning challenges. Awsaj Academy is the only school of its kind in Qatar and is a recognized leader in the region for students with disabilities.
The Academy provides high quality academic, social, emotional and research based programs and provides a curriculum that is responsive to students needs and abilities. Through multi-tiered systems of support, we can ensure that our students receive the necessary behavioral, therapeutic, and academic interventions to enable our students to succeed in their aspirations for further study, higher education, employment and community life.
The Academy is accredited by international bodies and offers the High School diploma to support students’ graduation aspirations. The Academy has recently been recognized as a BTEC delivery center to support student vocational opportunities. BTECs are high quality, hands-on qualifications grounded in the real world of work. BTECs are all about learning by doing and that means BTEC students put what they learn into practice straight away. Throughout the course, they work on a series of assignments set in real-life scenarios, developing the practical knowledge and skills employers and universities are looking for. We are currently undertaking a feasibility study for the possible introduction of the IBCP program as a pathway for some Grade 11 & 12 students.
English is the language of instruction in all disciplines and subjects except Arabic, Islamic Studies and Qatar History, which are taught in Arabic. Over 98% of Awsaj students are Qatari and are English Language Learners. Students are taught in mixed gender classes.
In keeping with all QF schools, Awsaj has exceptional teaching and learning facilities and is located in the center of the inspirational and innovative Education City.
As a specialist school, Awsaj students present a wide range of learning challenges requiring a dynamic, flexible and responsive learning environment. In addition to grade level classrooms with teacher student ratio of 1:10, we have a number of specialist resources bases (SCC, Bridge & EBD) in our Secondary School structure supported by teachers, IA’s and interventionists. We also offer the Prime program for Grade 11 & 12 students requiring rapid credit and a bespoke and personalized self-study approach.
The holistic approach to meeting individual needs is supported and enhanced by a strong multi-disciplinary team of therapists, psychologists and Special Education Co-coordinator provided by The Learning Centre (TLC). The school also employs a team of Education Counsellors, School Nurse and Behavior Specialists. We have a strong and highly specialist Arabic & Islamic Studies team who work with students across the spectrum of learning needs.
At the heart of Awsaj is the concept of family and that every child matters and belongs. We aim never to give up on a student and are responsive to, and respectful of, the challenges our students may experience at different stages of their school journey.
Doha is the capital of Qatar – a sovereign Arab state – located in Western Asia and occupying the small Qatar Peninsula on the northeasterly coast of the Arabian Peninsula. Its sole land border is with Saudi Arabia to the south, with the rest of its territory surrounded by the Arabian Gulf. The Al Thani family has ruled Qatar since the mid-19th century. Formerly a British protectorate noted mainly for pearling, it became independent in 1971, and has become one of the region's wealthiest states due to its enormous oil and natural gas revenues.
The school is located within Qatar Foundation (QF), which was founded in 1995 by decree of His Highness Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, Emir of Qatar. The current Emir is his son, His Highness Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani. Qatar Foundation is chaired by Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser. Its aim is to "support Qatar on its journey from a carbon economy to a knowledge economy by unlocking human potential".
Qatar Foundation carries out this mission through three "pillars": education, science and research, and community development. QF’s work in the education field has brought a number of world-renowned international universities to Qatar to help develop an education sector in which young people can develop the attitudes and skills required for a knowledge economy. Its main science and research agenda is to build Qatar's innovation and technology capacity by developing and commercializing solutions through key sciences. Its community development programs aim to help foster a progressive society, while also enhancing the cultural landscape, protecting Qatar's heritage and addressing immediate social needs in the community.
To advance the achievement of students with learning challenges in Qatar
Unlocking the learning potential of each student
Persist | Contribute | Grow
Be respectful – I respect people, property and environment
Be responsible – I am accountable for my own actions, and try to resolve differences in constructive ways
Be safe – I act safely and show care for others
Be your best – I am open to new learning and take responsibility to do my best.
- To encourage, motivate and advance the achievement of students with learning challenges, demonstrating that all our students can progress in their development and learning
- To empower students with a sense of confidence, capability, competence, and self-esteem to meet life’s challenges
- To develop characteristics that will build resilience and skills for life
- To encourage students to be curious about the world they live in
- To provide students with opportunities to explore concepts, engage in problem solving, while extending their knowledge and skills
- To provide high quality academic, research based, teaching and learning in both Arabic and English
- To create an emotionally supportive learning environment where students feel safe, valued and a sense of belonging
- To support students to acquire knowledge, skills and confidence needed to fulfill their aspirations for adult life
- To develop respect of Qatari heritage, Culture and Islamic principles
- To offer a curriculum that will challenge, enthuse and inspire the young person to begin to make progress where they have previously been unable to thrive
- To ensure teaching is stimulating and relevant and utilises opportunities outside of the classroom, and first-hand experience
- To provide students with the knowledge that promotes intercultural understanding and respect, and the skills to become proud and successful global citizens
In collaboration with the Educational Leadership Team and the Administrative Team, the Secondary School Assistant Principal is responsible for supporting the Secondary School Principal in the effective development, delivery, and evaluation of all educational programs, including academic, social, and emotional elements of the curriculum.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field
- Post Graduate Qualification in Education, Educational Leadership, Special Education or other relevant field preferred
- 5 years of classroom experience
- Special Education experience
- Experience of responsibility and leadership in educational settings
- Effective interpersonal, leadership, and written & oral communication skills
- Arabic proficiency is desirable
- Leadership skills, attributes and professional competence – the ability to lead and manage people to work towards common goals;
- Decision-making skills – the ability to solve problems and make decisions
- Communication skills – the ability to make points clearly and understand the views of others
- Self-management – the ability to plan time effectively and to organize oneself well
- Teaching skills: able to role model good and better teaching to colleagues
- Personal impact and presence – providing a good role model to others
- Adaptability to changing circumstances and new ideas
- Energy, vigor and perseverance
- Intellectual ability
- Reliability and integrity
- Ability to stay calm under pressure
The Secondary School Assistant Principal will be part of the Awsaj Administration team.
The Secondary School Assistant Principal will:
- Assist the Principal in the overall administration of the school including staff management, curriculum development, student management, to ensure smooth operational leadership and management;
- Manage the school-wide positive behavior support system, support and clearly communicate behavioral expectations among faculty, staff, students & parents in order to create a safe and consistent learning environment.
- Serve as a resource for faculty in dealing with classroom management issues.
- Maintain accurate records relative to behavioral incidents,
- Be highly visible around the building and grounds before and after school, during lunch periods, while students are changing classes, and during extracurricular activities
- Supervise the collection and dissemination of attendance and tardy data, and contact parents in the case of chronic attendance issues in order to support student for learning
- Assist the Principal in ensuring that all teachers have a clear understanding of performance expectations and promote faculty professional development;
- Assist the Principal in monitoring and reporting student assessment and evaluation
- Assist the Principal in analyzing assessment information to determine whether curricular and instructional goals and student performance outcomes are being met
- Monitor Teachers, Coordinators, Lead Teachers, to ensure that teaching and learning is of a high quality and align with the planned curriculum
- Attend meetings with faculty, staff, district administrators, parents, students, and others in order to ensure clear communication, provide leadership, and/or represent the interests of the school community
- Prepare duty schedule and manage substitute teachers to ensure adequate classroom and duty coverage
- Act as the designated Principal in his or her absence
- Perform other reasonable duties as assigned by the Principal
Salary and Benefits
Salary is highly completive and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Benefits include a tax-free salary, housing, health, life and long-term disability insurance, annual home leave, shipping allowance, gratuity and tuition benefits for Pre K – Grade 12 school-age dependents.
Candidates wishing to learn more about Awsaj Academy can visit our website at www.tlc.edu.qa
The deadline for receipt of applications is Sunday 16th February, 2020. The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received. Candidates should note that Qatar Foundation Schools reserves the right to make an appointment at any time, even before the deadline mentioned if an exceptional candidate is identified early in the process. For this reason, interested candidates are encouraged to apply at the earliest possible time.
Candidates should complete in full the application form. In compliance with Safer Recruitment principles, applications with incomplete application forms will not be considered. Also, candidates should provide a statement of education philosophy, including an explanation of why they believe they are the right person for the position (this may be incorporated in the application form).
Applications should be addressed to the Director, Mr. Mark Hughes, at firstname.lastname@example.org and copied to the Executive Director of QF Schools, Mr. Stuart Leeming, at email@example.com
Qatar Foundation Schools is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all who apply to share in this commitment. In compliance with Safer Recruitment principles, incomplete applications will not be considered. Offers of interview and employment will be subject to an enhanced background and criminal record check.
Equality and access
Qatar Foundation Division of Pre-University is committed to ensuring that applicants and employees from all sections of the community are treated equally and not discriminated against, and we welcome applications from candidates with additional needs and disabilities.