Do you have experience overseeing attendance at a school level? We are looking for an Attendance Officer to join our dedicated academy team at Harris Academy Orpington . This role is likely to suit an individual looking to develop in a school environment with attendance related experience.
Harris Academy Orpington opened in September 2016, joining the highly successful Federation of Harris academies in London. We are on our journey to outstanding, we are ambitious and looking forward to an exciting future. We believe that every student can and should achieve their full potential and our commitment is one of ensuring our students develop a love of learning, a passion for enquiry and a dedication to being the
best that they can be. We aim to ensure that every student is inspired and supported to achieve his/her personal best and learning comes first. Our motto is “Together We Can” and if you are interested in joining us, we would be very pleased to meet you.
Main Areas of Responsibility
- To ensure accurate registers are taken and recorded accurately on BromCom for students in Y7-13;
- To text parents/carers of any student who is absent at an agreed time and record reasons for absence if given;
- Daily monitoring and early calls on the attendance of children in care or students on the vulnerable list as a priority, reporting to the Academy Welfare Manager daily;
- Sending letters to parents regarding attendance matters as requested by the Faculty Director;
- Establishing the reason for absences including telephone calls, and letters in liaison with the tutors and other staff;
- Preparing and distributing attendance and punctuality certificates as part of the Academy's reward policy;
- Signing students in and out of the Academy outside normal start and finish times, ensuring communication with home where required;
- Liaising with the Educational Welfare Officer/members of ALG to ensure that prompt, consistent and rigorous intervention with poor attendance is robust;
- To monitor student attendance in relation to targets set for each individual ensuring that follow-up procedures are adhered to and that appropriate action is taken where necessary;
- To deal efficiently and effectively with providing accurate information on referrals following attendance concerns from members of Academy Leadership Team;
- To alert the appropriate staff to problems experienced by students and to make recommendations as to how these may be resolved;
- To communicate as appropriate, with the parents/carers of students and with persons or bodies outside the Academy concerned with the welfare of individual students, after consultation with the appropriate staff;
- To attend appropriate meetings including weekly meetings with Faculty Directors/members of ALG to review faculty attendance figures and action taken;
- Dealing with enquiries from parents and contacting parents as appropriate, by letter or phone or text;
- To provide cover for Reception as required.
- Sound Knowledge of Microsoft software
- Knowledge of BromCom system for input and export of student attendance data
- Training on BromCom system in relation to attendance and report generation
- Knowledge of attendance policies and procedures
- Knowledge of the range of agencies that work with students and their families
- Basic knowledge of first aid; e.g. emergency first aid course
- Knowledge of a range of attendance codes and when they can be used
- 3 years’ experience of working in an inner-city school or educational establishment
- Experience of working with Academy welfare officer
- Experience of meeting with parents/carers formally and informally
- Experience of managing attendance systems, this to include completing weekly, half termly and annual reports as requested in liaison with Assistant Principal
- Experience in a similar role
- Experience of working with young people
- Experience of working with young people with challenging behaviour
- Full working knowledge of relevant policies/codes of practice
- Understanding of principles of good student attendance and punctuality
- Ability to plan effective actions for students with poor attendance
- Effective use of ICT to secure good attendance
- Understanding of a range of welfare issues that may be effecting students and their families.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills to be able to relate well to a wide range of people
- Work constructively as part of a team whilst being able to demonstrate initiative
- Good communication skills
- Have commitment to own personal and professional development
- Commitment to equality and diversity
- Empathy with the aims and objectives of the Harris Federation
Rewards & Benefits
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level to senior leadership.
We look for talented individuals who share our vision for creating exceptional places of learning, and are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education.
In addition to the opportunities for career progression, training and development, we also offer a competitive rewards and benefits package which includes our Harris Allowance, a Performance and Loyalty Bonus, Pension Scheme, a Wellbeing Cash Plan and many other benefits.
The Harris Federation and all our academies are committed to ensuring the highest levels of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and we expect all our staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, references, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. Before applying, please review our Policy Statement on the Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.
The Harris Federation is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.
As a provider of employment and education, we value the diversity of our staff and students, and all our staff are equally valued and respected. We are committed to providing a fair, equitable and mutually supportive learning and working environment for our students and staff.
Harris Academy Orpington is an ambitious new academy at the heart of the local community. We support our students as they develop the confidence, work ethic and motivation they will need to thrive as adults.
We combine the traditional values of good ...