· To provide all Boarders with the best possible experience of a boarding education by ensuring a challenging and supportive environment: a home from home for Boarders.
· To provide care and security for the boarders by sleeping in the Boarding House and taking overnight duties.
· To approve any Boarder’s expenses with the Head of Boarding.
· To provide for the care and wellbeing of the School’s Boarders in such a way that the highest standards of good practice are met.
· To promote boarding as an integral part of school life.
· To effectively and efficiently assist with the organisation of the Boarding House’s resources.
· To maintain Health and Safety standards and requirements within the Boarding House.
· To provide classroom assistance and teacher cover when necessary.
· A person with excellent organisational skills.
· An ability to communicate effectively with children, parents and staff.
· Excellent ICT skills.
· Enthusiasm and willingness to contribute to all areas of the Boarding House life.
· Empathy for children’s needs and feelings across the age range.
· Must hold a First Aid certificate and a valid European/Swiss Driving Licence
· A person prepared to actively promote the School’s values and to be fully involved in the extra-curricular life of the School.
· The ability to work as part of a small team, with flexibility and initiative.
· A person suitable to work with children.
1. Care and Welfare of the Boarding Students
· Know each Boarder and be concerned for all aspects of his/her development.
· Liaise with the Head of Boarding, School Director, SMT, Administration, homeroom teachers and teachers.
· Develop awareness of, and implement general health, hygiene and sleeping routines in the Boarding House.
· Ensure all Boarders maintain a healthy diet and mealtimes are happy and civilised.
· Take responsibility for the discipline of Boarders, monitoring behaviour, manners and dress to ensure they are in keeping with the School’s Code of Conduct.
· Deal appropriately with any discipline issues with regular liaison with the Head of Boarding.
· Be aware of the School policies in all areas that concern the Boarding House.
· Inform the Head of Boarding immediately for all serious breaches of conduct.
· Ensure the safety and security of all Boarders when they are in the School’s care.
2. Provide a link between parents and school on all aspects of boarding
· Regular communication with parents - prepared to respond to concerns at any time.
· Be aware of all concerns from teachers and be able to discuss individual issues at all times. This will require a high degree of liaison with the Head of Boarding and individual teachers as well as attendance at certain meetings.
· Have an understanding of students’ personal, academic and educational needs.
· Be a contact person for teaching and administrative staff regarding matters involving students.
· Comply with laundry and duty routines outlined by the Head of Boarding.
· Organise appointments for students with doctors, dentists, hairdressers etc.
· Ensure that the boarding area of the School looks neat, tidy and attractive and
that routine maintenance issues are reported.
· Participate in, organise and run interesting and enriching activities for the Boarders.
· Liaise with all departments involved in the smooth running of the Boarding House.
· Ensure the boarding area is fully prepared to receive Boarders at the beginning of the term.
4. Other Duties
· The Boarding House Parent is expected to be resident in the House accommodation provided by the School, during term time and to sleep in the House each night except for any special circumstances which have been authorised by the Head of Boarding / School Director.
· Coordinate the beginning and end of terms as follows:
- be back at school one week before the beginning of the 1st term and two days before the beginning of the 2nd and 3rd terms in order to establish that all boarding arrangements are completed before the first Boarder returns.
- remain at the School until all Boarders have left for the holidays.
- ensure that all boarding areas have been left tidy and in good order before leaving on holiday
John F. Kennedy International School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. The successful applicant will therefore be subject to an criminal check and reference checks.
Interested in joining our JFK family?
Please send your application with a letter of application, complete Curriculum Vitae (including details of employment, educational qualifications) and two letters of references to: Head of Business & Administration, Mrs. Zannie Odobasic-Leong at email@example.com