The Board of Governors and I are seeking a highly commercial individual with strong financial acumen and proven ability at leadership level to act as our Bursar.
We require someone with a genuine interest in the education arena and in particular, the independent school sector. In this post, you would play a key role on the school’s Executive Team and work in close partnership with myself as Headmaster. You would be actively involved in implementing the school’s new 10 Year Strategic Vision and would be charged with leading the Finance, IT and Estates departments having ultimate responsibility for the school site, infrastructure and administration on a day to day basis.
The Beacon is a large independent prep school for boys aged between 4 and 13, set in on a 16 acre site near Amersham, Buckinghamshire, some 30 minutes from London by train. To give you a flavour of life at our school, please take a look around our website www.beaconschool.co.uk.
Our current Bursar is leaving at the end of this year and the post will be open from the start of 2018. We welcome applicants with strong and relevant skill-sets and experience to apply even if they are unable to commence work straight away in January.
The Beacon is a remarkable school and we seek remarkable people; we are seeking an exceptional bursar and we look forward to hearing from you.
Financial and Commercial
· Advising on general financial policy and ensuring compliance
· Preparing and regularly presenting forecasts and budgets
· Monitoring income and expenditure in relation to the budget, analysing variances and presenting regular management accounts and reports
· Keeping the statutory accounts of the School - Income and Expenditure Accounts, Balance Sheets, Cashflows and facilitating the annual audit preparing all the relevant documentation
· Overseeing the pupils' billing arrangements and collection of all fees and other dues
· Management of the Bursary Fund system, clerking and ensuring policy is applied
· Payment of expenses and wages, including PAYE, Superannuation and National Insurance
· Administering pension schemes
· Scrutinising and passing for payment all invoices and statements of account
· Financial appraisals of projects
· Dealing with VAT, taxation and HMRC matters
· Investment and treasury management
· Cost effective procurement and management of bought in goods and services
· Seeking professional advice/managing relationships with auditors, bank advisers, lawyers
· Managing the School's insurances
Estates and Lettings
· Preparation, project management and financing of a rolling programme of capital works
· Improvements to the school’s environmental efficiency, security and fire protection arrangements
· Review meetings with Facilities Manager to ensure maintenance of school buildings, grounds and property is in order
· Outline specifications for new buildings/projects, competitive tenders, planning permissions
· ‘Lettings Development’ strategy
Health and Safety
· Chairing the Health and Safety Committee
· Overseeing the implementation of H&S regulations
· Risk management processes, including risk assessments, risk register, emergency procedures and critical incident planning
Information Technology (IT) and Data
· Meeting with the Head of IT Networks & Support to review IT service delivery ensuring that the IT infrastructure for the whole school runs smoothly
· Evaluating IT project proposals and being instrumental in the roll-out of new systems (e.g. MIS)
· Attendance at IT Steering Group meetings
· Responsibility for the Data Protection Policy and acting as the School’s designated Data Controller
· Carrying out testing and monitoring in accordance with an “Annual Compliance Plan”, ensuring that the School’s policies and procedures are fully compliant
· Advising on key aspects of ISI and other regulatory compliance
· Ensuring training is delivered and spreading awareness of policies amongst the staff
General School Management and Strategic Leadership
· Attending Executive Team and Governor meetings (including preparing and presenting reports), taking part in short and long term planning processes, contributing to the implementation of the School’s approved Strategic Vision
· Working closely with the SMT (Senior Management Team) to support the overall operational management of the School
· Key contact for Charity Commission, Companies House, Government Bodies, DfE, ISI etc.
Training and Development
· Professional development, leadership training and other development activities
· Participating in the arrangements for the school’s appraisal and review process