Chobham Academy is currently looking to appoint a Second in Charge of Business and Economics. The successful post holder will have responsibility for a specific area within Business Studies and Economics faculty; this specific area of responsibility will be discussed at interview and agreed depending on the background of the successful applicant and the needs of the academy. However, this will include the responsibility for Business Studies CTEC.
The faculty consists of three discrete subject(s) Economics, Business Studies and Computing. Within the faculty each subject offers its GCSE qualification and at post-16, we offer A Level Computing and Economics alongside Cambridge Technical Business Studies. The faculty is led by a Director of Learning, who is subject lead for Economics, they are supported by a second in charge (this post) and a head of computing. The team is larger than average consisting of six full time teachers. The department recognises the relevance of its subject(s) to future careers prospects and incorporates STEM links within all of the subject area(s). It has also worked over the last 12 months to develop cross-curricular links to ensure consistent approaches to developing the wider learning skills of the students we teach. The Faculty is always keen to grow and develop its teaching and learning practice and put students at the centre of every decision. We work hard to make sure that our students love our subject, improve the cultural capital of those that we teach, and aspire to achieve their very best.
Advance your career within the Federation's supportive academy environment established in developing practitioners and nurturing excellent future leaders. With unrivalled opportunities for progression, we can provide bespoke courses and qualifications to match your aspirations, whether that be as a teacher, middle or senior leader. Our Teaching School Alliance can equip you with the right experience, knowledge and training you need to succeed.
The successful candidate will:
- Be accountable, alongside the Director of Learning, for student progress and development in the subject area across a specified area including meeting student achievement targets for the key stage which are agreed by the Line Manager.
- Be accountable for ensuring effective administration of and overseeing effective delivery of Business Studies Cambridge Technical qualification in the sixth form.
- Ensure there are high standards of teaching and learning across the subject area through continuously, developing and enhancing the quality of teaching and learning.
- Ensure, alongside the Director of Learning, the provision of an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students, in accordance with the Academy aims and policies, as determined by the Line Manager.
- Ensure that all Academy policies and procedures are implemented and applied consistently by all staff in the area of responsibility.
- Mentor and coach an NQT or TF colleague to ensure successful achievement of QTS/ NQT status
For a full job description and person specification, please download the Job Pack.
As part of the Harris Federation, we can offer you a range of benefits, including:
- Access to a diverse network of phase and subject specialist groups
- Support and mentoring from some of the best leaders in education
- An Inner London Harris Allowance, plus a performance and loyalty bonus
- Pension scheme (TPS) and access to our Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan, covering a range of health and wellbeing benefits
- The opportunity to work with our amazing students!
Click here for a full list of Harris benefits.
About Chobham Academy:
Chobham Academy opened in September 2013 as part of the Harris Federation. Our 3-18 academy is a world class educational legacy of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. Situated within the East Village complex, the academy serves the community newly established in 2,800 new homes, along with existing communities in Newham and Waltham Forest. Chobham Academy is judged "Outstanding" in every category by Ofsted.
Why work at Chobham Academy?
World-class facilities for learning, leisure and sport, creating a dynamic centre of learning and the hub of the local community
An all-through Academy, providing unique opportunities for nurturing and developing excellence throughout the local community
Inclusive model of learning, with an ethos based upon aspiration, ambition and high achievement for all
All the advantages of a successful academy group, including a strong central team of support, teaching and leadership staff
Generous Harris rewards and benefits package
Come and see us in action: visits to Chobham Academy are strongly encouraged and very welcome. Please call 0203 747 6060 to arrange a time to come in or an informal conversation.
The Harris Federation
Our academy is part of the Harris Federation, the leading large Multi Academy Trust in the country for both primary and secondary education. Harris has an unrivalled track record in raising standards and achieving success for the children in our academies.
Professional development and sharing best practice are a key part of the Harris Federation success, and we can draw on this to offer you top quality training at every stage of your career path, from Beginner Teacher to Middle Leader. We will invest in you with coaching, mentoring, and can offer a wide range of training programmes, delivered by our Teaching School Alliance.
We look for talented teachers who are passionate about their subject and making a difference. You can help us transform education in London, and create exceptional places of learning.
Please note: academies may hold interviews as and when applications are received, and this job may be withdrawn at any point without notice. You will still be able to add information until the closing date, but you will not be able to submit your application. With this in mind, you are encouraged to apply as early as possible.
Harris academies are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. In line with our commitments to safeguarding, the Harris Federation uses preferred agencies and is unable to work with any agencies where Terms of Business have not been agreed by both parties prior to an engagement. Harris Federation is fully committed to equality and to valuing diversity as an employer and a provider of education. Click here to view our full equality and diversity statement.