Surbiton High Senior School is part of United Learning, a large and growing group of schools aiming to offer a life changing education to children and young people across England. Schools within United Learning work as a team and achieve more by sharing than any single school could. Our intranet site, United Hub, is just one example of how we share resource and communicate across sites, helping to simplify work processes and manage workloads for an improved work-life balance. We reward our staff: with good career opportunities, better pay, benefits, and ultimately the satisfaction of supporting schools in their quest to give every child the opportunity to succeed and reach their full potential.
The caretaker will be part of the caretaking team and provide caretaking and maintenance services to all buildings and grounds forming the school site, assisting to ensure a safe and secure environment. The caretaker will be required to work evenings and weekends, the shift times will be dependent upon bookings.
- Assist with ensuring the security of the School premises and its contents, both in term time and school holidays, including routine and non-routine (e.g. emergencies), opening and closing and during lettings, reporting any emergencies outside own areas to the relevant line managers.
- Assist with the heating and lighting of the premises, including frost precautions.
- To investigate system failures in heating, lighting, water, sewerage, and electric circuits, and to make minor repairs where appropriate, and in consultation with the Director of Health, Safety & Facilities to bring in appropriate contractors when necessary.
- Ensure access for emergency services to site and assist as requested.
- Check for any break-ins or forced entry and inform the police if necessary.
- To investigate system failures in heating, lighting, water, sewerage, and electric circuits, and to make minor repairs where appropriate, in consultation with the Premises Manager.
- To set up for events/lets and clear up as required.
- To keep the grounds neat, tidy and clean.
- To receive deliveries of stores, including teaching supplies, materials and other goods, and arrange storage with relevant staff.
- To assist with erecting fixed sports equipment at the beginning of the season and take down and store away at the end.
- To assist with keeping an inventory of tools and power equipment and ensure they are kept in good repair in line with current legislation.
- To ensure that all drains, gullies and low level gutters are free and flowing clean.
- As necessary clear pathways of snow and ice and treat them as required.
- As necessary, to check and keep register of all fire equipment e.g. extinguishers, smoke detectors, heat detectors, bells and press buttons, hose reels, dry/wet risers and hydrant points. Liaise with the fire brigade when routine maintenance is carried out on these.
- Drive school minibuses and transport as required.
- To carry out visual security checks of the premises on all days when the school is completely closed.
- To carry out other such reasonable duties within the responsibilities of the post.
The successful candidate will be likely to fit the following profile:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to work alone
- Reliability and integrity
- Ability to take responsibility
- Be able to carry out general repairs and maintenance to a high standard
- Be computer literate
- Have practical knowledge of vehicle and machinery maintenance
- Experience of driving a minibus preferable, with D1 or equivalent plus a clean driving licence
- First Aid (training could be offered)
Early applications welcome. We will review applications and invite applicants to interview on a rolling basis.
Surbiton High School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Please note that the School reserves the right to appoint at any stage during the recruitment process.
For any queries relating to the role or your application, please email email@example.com
Please apply online by clicking on the following link: https://unitedlearning.current-vacancies.com/Jobs/Advert/1066702?cid=1567
Closing date: 8:00am, Friday 5th January 2018
Where support is better shared
United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12. Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB.