We are seeking a hard-working, honest, dependable, self-motivated person to act as school caretaker, decorator and general maintenance, willing to uphold the ethos and support the aims and values of Lewes Old Grammar School. This post will be based at our Junior School, Morley House however the role includes grounds maintenance of the whole site.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure a weekly check of all key areas of Morley House including all necessary checks regarding heating, lighting, fire alarms and water as directed by the Estate Manager ;
- Make safe any hazards and ensure that the area is cordoned off;
- Noting, monitoring and reporting any defects in the school building to the Estates Manager and dealing with as appropriately if it is possible;
- Monitor the work of contractors working on site as required.
- Keep all hard surfaces looking presentable and free of moss, weeds and graffiti;
- Sweep the external courtyard areas, removing any litter and debris, ensuring external rubbish is stored appropriately at both premises;
- Disinfect drains and dustbins regularly;
- Ensure that where there is a hazard that all staff are made aware promptly, the area is cordoned off and the hazard is made safe;
- Keep all entrances free of obstructions, ice and snow to ensure the safety of pupils, parents, staff, visitors and members of the public;
- Keep storerooms and storage areas appropriately organized for safety, hygiene and easy access;
- Check emergency and fire evacuation routes removing any obstructions to exits.
- Opening and closing, unlocking and locking of school gates and buildings;
- Open and close the school for evening use at times arranged by the Estate Manager;
- Act as a Key Holder and be a point of contact in an emergency call-out situation;
- Overall security of the school premises including the locking of all windows and doors and the drawing of window blinds;
- You may be called out at unsociable hours or at weekends to deal with security problems, make emergency repairs or allow access to any contractor who may be working on the site, in school holidays or weekends;
- Security Mark new equipment.
- Upkeep and general care of the school;
- Unlocking and re-locking bins in preparation for pick-up;
- Ensuring that external rubbish is stored appropriately;
- Cleaning and tidying of the internal school building in designated areas - as per plan during the school day as necessary;
- General maintenance and minor repair work including: doors, windows, toilet seats and flushes, furniture, tap washers and some painting of doors and walls (This list is not exhaustive, but an example);
- General porterage duties and moving of furniture;
- Assisting teaching staff with simple tasks as requested;
- Lettings as required - opening, closing and general duties;
- Preparation of Halls for functions as required;
- Receive and check goods and supplies and take them to the appropriate place for storage;
- Any other work requested by, and deemed appropriate by the Estates Manager.
Hours of Work
The working week will average 37.50 hours with an hour for lunch each day.
Term Time (34 weeks of the year)
Between Monday – Friday a shift system is operated between 7am and 7pm. All members of the Estate Team will be issued with their rota at the start of each term.
Between Monday – Friday a shift system is operated between 8am and 5.30pm.
However, variations to these times may be necessary on certain occasions when meetings, building work, functions etc are held at the school. Any variation will be notified in advance by the Estates Manager.
£20,500 per annum plus the Group Pension Scheme.
25 days per year plus bank holidays and must be taken during the published school holiday period.
Candidates will be invited to attend an interview at the School and to meet the Bursar and Estate Manager.
The closing date for applications is Friday 8th December and interviews will be held the w/c 11th December.