Malvern College Hong Kong is an authorised IB PYP and MYP school and is a candidate school for the Diploma programme. MCHK currently has 800 pupils in Prep 1 to Hundred (Years 1-11). In August 2021, we expect to be close to 1000 pupils and look forward to welcoming our first Sixth Form Cohort.
The Chinese co-ordinator (MYP/DP) has responsibility for leading and coordinating the provision of Chinese in the secondary department to ensure the delivery of a high quality Chinese programme through creative and engaging learning and teaching. The successful applicant will be instrumental to the continuous development of the school, advising the senior management team, promoting whole school aims, and implementing school policies through the work of the department. In August 2020, the school’s top cohort entered the fifth year of the MYP before embarking on the Diploma programme in August 2021. In 2021-22 the focus will be on continuing to develop and embed the five-year MYP continuum and roll out the Diploma curriculum. In order to meet the current needs of the department, the Chinese Co-ordinator would, ideally, be expected to have the flexibility to support both Language and Literature and Language Acquisition.
Curriculum and Assessment
- Take the lead in continuing to plan and implement the Chinese curriculum across the secondary school (vertical and horizontal planning);
- Lead the department in developing approaches to teaching and learning;
- Support teachers in designing relevant, challenging and rigorous curricular programmes that will inspire pupils to take action and to continue their learning;
- Lead the department in creating inquiry-based classrooms that develop critical thinking skills, knowledge and a range of skills within an environment based on trust and respect;
- Develop rich and meaningful assessment tasks and give timely and effective feedback that enhances pupil learning;
- Set up, monitor and standardize departmental marking and assessment within the framework of the school and IB policies and procedures;
- Establish a common approach to homework adhering to the school policies and procedures;
- Ensure that pupils are assessed, supported and tracked individually and consistently;
- Develop and maintain curriculum documents and oversee pupils’ academic progress within the department;
- Support teachers in differentiating learning experiences to ensure that each pupil is motivated and challenged to meet their potential;
- Develop learning opportunities outside the classroom via field trips and other activities in collaboration with other departments; and
- Guide the department in selecting and using relevant resources and digital tools to support and enhance learning.
Staff and Resources
The Secondary Chinese Co-ordinator (MYP & DP) will identify and manage resources within the department and ensure that they are used efficiently and effectively. This is done through:
- Chairing regular departmental meetings;
- Assisting the SMT in scheduling of classes and assignment of teachers within the department;
- Conducting supportive and thorough performance management and appraisal of departmental members;
- Supporting and guiding departmental colleagues in their interactions with pupils, parents and other colleagues;
- Inducting new staff within the department and providing continued support through the year;
- Assisting with the management of cover work for absent colleagues in the department;
- Managing departmental budget and resources, including up-dating of departmental inventories, textbooks and other pupil learning resources;
- Facilitating access to professional development resources; and
- Arranging department exhibitions to secure suitable publicity for the department’s work within and beyond the school and to give presentations at staff meetings or other meetings as required;
- Play a full part in the school’s admissions process including attending Saturday Admissions day(s) as required; and
- Assist with any other duties, tasks or jobs as may be reasonably requested by the Headmaster.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chinese with teaching qualification;
- A strong track record of teaching Chinese Language and Literature and/or Language Acquisition in secondary education with some experience of leadership (e.g. Head of Department or Curriculum Coordinator);
- Previous experience of teaching the IB MYP and DP programmes is essential;
- Recent experience in starting up and developing Chinese curriculum and programme;
- Proven education leadership and programme coordination experience;
- Experience in project supervision and interdisciplinary learning;
- Recent experience of curricular innovation and development;
- Experience in teaching learners with diverse needs and varied language backgrounds;
- Native level of Putonghua and fluent in English;
- An effective communicator;
- Evidence of continued relevant professional development, including significant IB training;
- Ability to work collaboratively;
- Familiarity with various teaching resources including, where appropriate, digital tools to support and enhance teaching and learning;
- Residency in Hong Kong or holder of a work permit in Hong Kong; and
- A willingness and commitment to contribute fully to the life of the pupils and school beyond the academic day, including active participation in the academic enrichment and co-curricular programmes.
All applications should be submitted online via TES. You are required to complete your online profile and supporting statement and upload your CV with photo. You are also required to provide details of three referees.
Contract Type: Full time, Two Years, Local Contract
Start date: August 2021
Closing date: Interviews will be on a rolling basis and as such early applications are encouraged.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted to arrange an interview via Skype or in person. Candidates may be contacted at any stage after submitting their applications.
Malvern College Hong Kong exists to provide a quality all round education for students and is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. Candidates must be prepared to undergo child protection screening and appropriate pre-employment checks. Please note that we will need to take up the references provided in your application form prior to interview.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any queries about this role. Please note that a CV will not be accepted in place of the online application form.
For further information about Malvern College Hong Kong, please visit our website at http://www.malverncollege.org.hk/. To find out more about the Malvern College International family, please visit www.malverncollegeinternational.org
Malvern College Hong Kong
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through School
- Students of mixed gender, age 5 - 16 years
Malvern College Hong Kong (MCHK) opened its doors to its first pupils in August 2018. This co-educational day school caters largely for international pupils, reflecting the truly multi-cultural nature of this vibrant city. Malvern College Hong ...