We are seeking to employ a counsellor to support our sixth form students, liaise with staff and parents and, potentially, undertake some work with students’ families. This role is to start in October/ November and is part-time 3 days per week.
This role will provide a complementary service to existing teachers and associate staff, addressing the needs of students who need help to overcome barriers to learning both inside and outside the School, in order to achieve their full potential.
You will play a key role in the School’s wider pastoral team, led by the Deputy Headteacher: Pastoral and Safeguarding.
The post-holder will:
• To provide an independent and confidential counselling service to students at St Marylebone Sixth Form through individual sessions, responding to their personal, social, emotional or educational concerns;
• To evaluate and make decisions about psychological intervention or referral to other external services via the relevant Head of Year eg housing, social services, CAMHS;
• To maintain appropriate records and ensure that these are kept in a secure location in line with school policy;
• To liaise, where appropriate and with the pupil’s consent and in accordance with the school’s policies, with other members of staff;
• To be alert to trends and patterns of problems and be willing to identify causes and recommend corrective action to the Key Stage Five Team;
• As and when requested, to devise, and where appropriate, deliver training/group works to pupils and/or staff or parents;
• To play an active role in safeguarding the pupils at St Marylebone by adhering to the relevant school policies including the school’s safeguarding policy.
PERSON SPECIFICATION - WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
The successful candidate will have:
• Holder of recognised counselling/psychotherapy qualification.
• Professional accreditation by BACP or UKCP.
• DBS Enhanced Certificate.
• Experience of working with teenagers in an education setting.
• Competency in the use of ICT for administration.
• Good communication skills.
• Understanding of safeguarding requirements and legislation in schools.
ABOUT THE SCHOOL
• Founded in 1791, The St Marylebone CE School is an outstanding comprehensive school for girls with a mixed sixth form, serving students of all faiths or no faith.
• Rated ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted and SIAMS, the School is one of the best performing state schools nationally.
• We are the Lead School in The St Marylebone Teaching School Alliance and offer teacher training programmes.
• The School is a dynamic and inspiring place to work and invests energetically in the growth and CPD of its staff.
• The School is situated in the heart of central London, just minutes from the hustle and bustle of Oxford Street on the tranquil Marylebone High Street, with Regent’s Park just moments away. We are close to excellent transport links (Regent’s Park, Baker Street and Bond Street Tube Stations)
HOW TO APPLY
Application forms are available to download from the School’s website.
Please return your completed application form via e-mail to:
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch:
Closing date: Friday, 27 September at 9am
Interviews will be held during w/c 7 October
The School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children & vulnerable adults and it is our expectation that all staff and volunteers share this commitment. The successful applicant will be required to apply for an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).