• To promote the corporate image of the academy and high standards of behaviour and courtesy among students.
• To communicate effectively with the public and wider community
• To provide effective support for teaching staff and students.
• To promote and support the implementation of academy aims, policies and values.
• To work flexibly as part of the support staff team to contribute to the smooth operation of the academy.
• To use academy computer hardware and software packages where appropriate.
• To commit to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people.
• To arrange for cover staff as required on a daily basis in liaison with the Assistant Head
• In the absence of a teacher provide supervision of and be responsible for a class of students during lesson time.
• Manage the behaviour of students to promote and maintain order and a calm working environment for students, including implementation of the academy behaviour policy. Report back as appropriate on the behaviour of students during lesson, and any issues arising, using the academy agreed referral procedures.
• Establish productive working relationships with students, acting as a role model and setting high expectations.
• Promote the inclusion and acceptance of all students within the classroom and academy. Ensure the health, safety and welfare of students is maintained at all times.
• Establish constructive relationships and communicate with other relevant professionals, in liaison with the teacher, to support students' learning and progress.
• Liaise with teachers and other relevant professionals regarding the work set for a class.
• Communicate the work set by the class teacher to the students and ensure that students are aware of the teacher's expectations during the course of the lesson with regard to task completion.
• Motivate students to complete tasks set by the class teacher and encourage students to interact and work co-operatively as appropriate with others to ensure all students are engaged on the set task. Respond to any questions from students about process and procedures.
• Deal with any immediate problems or emergencies in accordance with academy policies and procedures.
• Provide comfort and immediate care in case of minor incidents, and report serious incidents to the appropriate person for action, in accordance with the academy guidance, policies and procedures.
• To work in conjunction with the Assistant Head to agree the deployment of cover staff on a daily basis.
• Where ever possible liaise with the teacher in advance of the lesson to discuss and agree the tasks to be set and completed.
• Collect any completed work after the lesson and return it to the class teacher as appropriate.
• Invigilate examinations.
• Provide administrative support for designated curriculum areas eg preparation of worksheets, display materials, etc.
• Accompany teaching staff and students on educational visits as necessary.
• Contribute to the overall ethos, aims and work of the academy.
• Be aware of, uphold, and contribute towards the development of academy policies and procedures.
• Participate in appropriate academy based meetings and training activities.
• Undertake any administrative duties relevant and appropriate to this post.
• Create and maintain displays around the academy.
• Undertake any other duties which may reasonably be regarded as within the nature of the duties, responsibilities and grade of this post. Any changes of a permanent nature will be incorporated into the job description in specific terms, following consultation with the postholder.
The postholder will be expected to:
• Take an active part in appraising their own work against agreed priorities and targets in accordance with the academy performance management and supervision arrangements.
• Undertake any necessary training associated with the duties of the post.
• Maintain confidentiality at all times and to observe Date Protection guidelines.
• Understand and comply with the academy equal opportunities and other policies.
• Comply with all Health and Safety.
• Ability to coordinate in a consistent manner the daily cover requirements of the academy.
• Ability to manage the behaviour of students to promote and maintain order and a calm working environment for students
• Ability to motivate students.
• Ability to work at own initiative, and as part of a team.
• Ability to work in a flexible and responsive way with tact, discretion and confidentiality.
• Ability to relate well to children and adults.
• Ability to work under pressure.
• Competency in numeracy and literacy.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Ability to use ICT effectively to support learning.
• Ability to use IT to set and record cover requirements.
• Ability to support the processes and procedures for students' learning.
• Knowledge of appropriate classroom skills to support student progress and learning
• Knowledge of a range of subject areas so that tasks can be described and explained to students as required
• Awareness of confidentiality issues linked to home/student/teacher/academy work. • Understanding of the aims, content, and intended outcomes of teaching and learning in relation to the national and the academy curriculum.
• Understanding of principles of child development and learning processes.
• Knowledge of a range of strategies to promote good behaviour.
• Awareness of the statutory frameworks relevant to their role.
• Knowledge and understanding of the different classroom roles and responsibilities in relation to this post.
• Awareness of policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, equal opportunities, confidentiality and data protection and of other relevant legislation.
• Experience working with children, young people.
• Administrative duties.
• Experience of using cover software for setting and recording cover requirements.
• 5 GCSE pass or equivalent of NVQ Level 2 including Maths/numeracy and English/literacy. • Appropriate first aid training.
• A level/Level 3 qualification.