The Cover Supervisor is one member of a team of professionals that will include teachers and teaching assistants. The team works together to care for and educate the pupils in the school.
The Cover Supervisor works under the direction and control of the headteacher. At all times the Cover Supervisor will work subject to the direction of a teacher.
The Cover Supervisor will supervise and manage individuals, groups and whole classes either on their own or in the presence of a teacher and/or other teaching assistant. They will supervise/cover classes without the presence of a teacher in the event of planned or unplanned absence by other teachers in the school.
The Cover Supervisor will not be responsible for the planning or preparation of lessons, materials or resources, nor will they be responsible for evaluation and pupil assessment. The Cover Supervisor will be primarily responsible for the maintenance of good order and focused activity: this requires behaviour management skills with a premium on communication and interpersonal abilities.
Principal duties and responsibilities
Subject to the direction and supervision of a teacher:
1. Supervise/cover classes, instead of a supply teacher, at short notice in the absence of a teacher for either unplanned or planned absence
2. Supervise detentions and/or in-school sessions where pupils may have been removed from classes
3. Invigilate and supervise national and school examinations, tests and assessments
4. Supervise pupils, on or off school premises, in the context of trips, visits, concerts, assemblies and contribute to the planning and organisation of such events
5. Manage pupils’ behaviour and discipline in accordance with the policies and procedures of the school and report back to teachers on pupils’ behaviour and discipline
6. Describe and explain learning activities, answering queries, giving direction and assisting with differentiated tasks and materials
7. Complete registers and/or use the school’s attendance recording systems and make oral and/or written feedback to the supervising teacher responsible for the relevant activity
8. Support pupils in the use of ICT
9. Take part in relevant training and development, assessment of performance (in accordance with school policy and practice) and an agreed programme of personal professional development
10. Work in accordance with the values, culture, ethos, equal opportunities and inclusion policies of the school proactively promoting anti-racist, anti-sexist and anti-discriminatory behaviours
11. Take appropriate action to identify, analyse and minimise any risks to health, safety and security in the working environment.
Parklands Junior is a large but friendly and inclusive school, with a busy and committed teaching team. The successful candidate would demonstrate the skills necessary to ensure the smooth running of the school including flexibility and initiative as detailed in the attached job profile. They will also be expected to supervise evening lettings as and when needed.
We would welcome visits to the school which can be arranged via our school office, telephone number 01708 743404.
Please apply online. If you have not been contacted within 3 days of the closing date, your application has been unsuccessful.
Parklands Junior School is committed to safeguarding. A job offer will be subject to an enhanced DBS check and full references being obtained.